Landscape Design App - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 115

Landscape Design App

Any recommendations for a landscape design app? We're going to be terracing out a hill behind our garage and installing retaining walls with patio and stuff. Wanted to find an app that will let me virtually build everything to help with planning and design.
I've tinkered with iscape but it doesn't let you save designs to add to later.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Advertisement

Zamboknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Landscape Design App

There actually is not a lot of inexpensive exploration software for landscape design and landscape architecture out there. My frustration with most I have played with is it limits the plot size just to start. There are tons of HGTV things with plant lists and limited suggestions for irrigation but nothing I would trust with the calculations for stepped retaining walls. I fear you may have to bite the bullet and get a real CAD program. Hopefully someone will know of a decent program but I think you will be looking at $300-500 for a single project piece of home software and up around $2K if you want something that can calculate loads on retaining walls.

I have been known to trick Sweet Home 3D into thinking it was designing the interior of a home. Some like Google Sketch Up and there may be plug ins.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Landscape Design App

I've been using Chief Architect Home Designer (suite version for $99) and like it a lot. I haven't done much landscaping with it yet, but the other parts are done so well I think the landscaping portion would be good too. Check it out:
LINK
Rekonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 115

Landscape Design App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekonn
I've been using Chief Architect Home Designer (suite version for $99) and like it a lot. I haven't done much landscaping with it yet, but the other parts are done so well I think the landscaping portion would be good too. Check it out:
LINK
Looks like great software. Thanks for the suggestion but do you know if they have Mac versions? I only have macs
Zamboknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Landscape Design App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboknee View Post
Looks like great software. Thanks for the suggestion but do you know if they have Mac versions? I only have macs
Looks like it works on a mac.
System Requirements LINK

Last edited by Rekonn; 06-09-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: fixed link
Rekonn is offline   Reply With Quote