Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

land clearing


i have cleared most large brush. now i need to remove ivy & other vines, so i plant grass. what is the easiest & cheapest way to do this. i'm thinking of a bush hog, then a tiller. is ther an easier way?

charles s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Contractor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 835
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


Spray with RoundUp first. Most vines are pretty hardy and will keep coming back after cutting.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Mod / ArchiBuilder
 
Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 263
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


Good Idea, Round up will work miracles for your undergrowth.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 160
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


Quote:
Originally Posted by charles s
need to remove ivy & other vines, so i plant grass. what is the easiest & cheapest way to do this.
IVY? Be very careful if you burn the stuff. Bad things can happen from contact with smoke from poison ivy and poison oak. You also want to avoid contact with the roots from poison ivy. Thw worse case of of poison ivy I ever saw was a guy that was working shirtless in a ditch that had lots of prtruding poison ivy roots.
pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Contractor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 835
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


As a rule, my family is not allergic to poisinous plants but one of my uncles burned some once and got the smoke in his lungs. Bad Juju.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Mod / ArchiBuilder
 
Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 263
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


What can happen to you?

This is new news to me.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 160
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


The same thing that happens on the outside - only in your lungs. My mom's cousin suffered terribly after working around a fire barrel all day that he and his dad (my mom's uncle) were burning leaves, poison ivy, brush, etc. in. I think modern day anti-biotics keep it from being as serious an injury as it otherwise was 50 years ago.
pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:24 PM   #8
Contractor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 835
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


This happened about 50 yrs. ago and put him in the hospital for days.
I suppose a lot of it would have to do with your reactivity to it. I don't get poison anything but one of my brothers just has to look at it and he'll break out.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #9
Mod / ArchiBuilder
 
Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 263
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


Thanks for the info.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:51 PM   #10
I'm just stirring the:
 
CGofMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 69
Rewards Points: 0
Default

land clearing


Inhaling burning poison oak can cause an incredible variety of nastiness.

First, there is a chance of getting a body wide poison oak rash.
Second, your lungs can basically get the same sort of problem as your skin which can cause swelling, weeping, and serious irritation.
Third, some folks will get true anaphylaxis and can die for this.\
Fourth, a form of induce pneumonia is possible.
In addition the urshiol (spelling?) which is the oil that causes the reaction in most people can become airborne in the smoke and ash. This ash will settle and can then cause the same sort of reaction as if rubbing up on the plant. It can also therefore get in the eyes.
Fifth, throat and wind pipe can become involved - inflamation and in some cases restriction of airflow can occur.
There are more things as well but you get the idea.

Ugly stuff.

People do die form this from time to time.


Last edited by CGofMP; 03-16-2005 at 11:59 PM.
CGofMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.