Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #1

Share |

Kudzu Eradication

What's the best herbicide for kudzu. I'd like something that can keep them dead for a while. We've been spreading water softener salt on it but it keeps growing its just yellow.

michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Kudzu Eradication

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Monterey-...5610/202043623

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Kudzu Eradication

Kudzo is another one of those things that seemed like a great idea a the time and seems not to grow out of control in its native environment. Japanese cookbooks of mine call for it in recipes as a starch.

As I was told, it was brought into this country and planted as livestock feed in the South. I am told it can grow 8' in a day but have only see it devour structures as far North as Cincinnati and the parts of Kentucky over the river.

Whatever herbicide you pick, I suspect you are looking at several and consistent applications over several seasons. I am told the flowers are pleasant smelling and even pretty to many. They seed easily so you cannot just weed wack or brush mow the stuff or you just spread it.

You did not mention in your profile where you are but if in the South, your ag extension and natural resource people are trying to contain the Kudzo problem and may even help with the cost of the herbicide if your State or University has any money. I don't think it has made it too far of the Mason-Dixon line so you can probably expect less help with it up around where I am.

You must think of your soil in your choice of herbicides. Salt will come to haunt you if you add too much.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #4

Kudzu Eradication

Not good! Kudzu, this is an invasive species that is gonna be tough! I've heard that it was planting by the CCC back in the early 1930s for erosion control, and that it is from Japan. Maybe some plot to overthrow our country by invasive weeds! If you only have a little I would dig it out, every inch of root must go! Or try glyphosate, repeated applications. It's not just southern either. It's in the Philly area too. Check the images on the www, you don't want any of that happening to your yard, act fast!
YorkiePoo1973 is offline   Reply With Quote