Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Knitting sod seams?

My neighbour came over and saw me getting ready for sod. He asked if I knew how to knit sod seams. Do I need to do this? None of the sod install guides I've read or watched have mentioned this. He said you take the seams and curl them down and press them together and into the ground when you lay it because the seams will want to curl up like how they were rolled. Then he said when you roll it, it'll push those seams together more.

Everything I've read said not to overlap sod or leave gaps.... Just make then butt again each other tightly.

recklessrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Knitting sod seams?

Former turf grass manager here who planted more putting green type turf than you can image.

Sewing seams was rather an industry joke. Sod, to work out well, needs to be harvested and planted within 24 or 48 hours of harvesting.

Are you committed to sod for some reason? If your soil is prepped for sod? Hydroseeding it will cost you a fraction and a hydroseeded lawn will establish faster, with less water, and make you much for proud than the hassle of sod.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Knitting sod seams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
Former turf grass manager here who planted more putting green type turf than you can image.

Sewing seams was rather an industry joke. Sod, to work out well, needs to be harvested and planted within 24 or 48 hours of harvesting.

Are you committed to sod for some reason? If your soil is prepped for sod? Hydroseeding it will cost you a fraction and a hydroseeded lawn will establish faster, with less water, and make you much for proud than the hassle of sod.
Is the prep for hydro different than sod? I have 4 inches of topsoil levelled and rolled, just waiting for sod.... Didn't even think to look into hydro seeding. You have piqued my curiosity.
recklessrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,324

Knitting sod seams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessrick View Post
Is the prep for hydro different than sod?
i do not know. but i would think the grade should be a little, 1" ? higher.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote