DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   Killing wild grass in mulched flower beds (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/killing-wild-grass-mulched-flower-beds-177879/)

sore thumb 04-23-2013 12:26 AM

Killing wild grass in mulched flower beds
 
What chemical can I use to kill those pesky sprouts of wild grass that pop up in my mulched flower beds? I tried Grass B Gone but was not impressed. My latest idea is to pull up each grass sprout, root and all then treat the bed with Preen.

Your thoughts please.

user1007 04-23-2013 02:16 AM

Round-Up with a nozzle you can control will do the trick as a non-selective, systemic, post-emergent herbicide. It may take you as long to spray carefully as pulling them. And you will have to look at dead grass shoots until they break down and decompose.

A pre-emergent like Preen is going to be your best defense long term. You want to apply it to the soil, not to the mulch though. So you will have to rake the mulch out of the way, apply the herbicide, then rake the mulch back in place.

Next year, you might think about a heavy landscape cloth under the mulch although I never specified it as it broke down and then became more of a problem than a solution.

Seattle2k 04-24-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sore thumb (Post 1165365)
What chemical can I use to kill those pesky sprouts of wild grass that pop up in my mulched flower beds? I tried Grass B Gone but was not impressed. My latest idea is to pull up each grass sprout, root and all then treat the bed with Preen.

Your thoughts please.

How long did you wait, after applying the Grass-B-Gone, before you were convinced that it didn't work? Some herbicides take a few weeks, as it needs to translocate through the plant.

sore thumb 04-24-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattle2k (Post 1166025)
How long did you wait, after applying the Grass-B-Gone, before you were convinced that it didn't work? Some herbicides take a few weeks, as it needs to translocate through the plant.

Learned I did not wait long enough.

joecaption 04-24-2013 08:40 AM

If your trying to use hardwood mulch, I've found that as it decomposes it just makes a great soil for growing weeds.
I've switched to Cypruss and added the Preen or Preen like product in the mulch and some on top and have no more weeds.
It also does no mold up, rot, or mat down like hardwood does.
It also repels most insects.

gregzoll 04-24-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sore thumb (Post 1165365)
What chemical can I use to kill those pesky sprouts of wild grass that pop up in my mulched flower beds? I tried Grass B Gone but was not impressed. My latest idea is to pull up each grass sprout, root and all then treat the bed with Preen.

Your thoughts please.

Preen.

sore thumb 04-24-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1166124)
If your trying to use hardwood mulch, I've found that as it decomposes it just makes a great soil for growing weeds.
I've switched to Cypruss and added the Preen or Preen like product in the mulch and some on top and have no more weeds.
It also does no mold up, rot, or mat down like hardwood does.
It also repels most insects.

We are using shredded pine mulch. It, like cypress, does not break down quickly.

gregzoll 04-24-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sore thumb (Post 1166244)
We are using shredded pine mulch. It, like cypress, does not break down quickly.

Pine mulch is common down south, not so much up here in the North.

sore thumb 04-24-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1166295)
Pine mulch is common down south, not so much up here in the North.

Our landscape designer/contractor gets it from East Texas.

jsanford9027 04-24-2013 06:42 PM

Preen Works for Me
 
Preen works for me. I try to be as accurate as possible.


----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.goodwoodcreations.net

sore thumb 04-24-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsanford9027 (Post 1166467)
Preen works for me. I try to be as accurate as possible.


----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.goodwoodcreations.net

Please tell me how "you" apply Preen. I've discovered different people apply it different ways.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved