Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

Share |

Killing weeds and Installing Sod

I have a 200sq ft area in my backyard that used to be lawn but is not a garden of weeds. I would like to resod the area myself. Since it isn't a large space, I think that renting a bunch of equipment might be overkill. I've got a shovel, rake, and a bucket of Round Up. But before I started spraying, I thought I'd ask the advice of those on this forum. Any suggestions?

THANKS!

kpshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #2

Ya, if you're gonna sod you better kill off any other vegetation in the area first. Roundup is the best because you don't have to wait any longer than it takes to kill the weeds to plant sod because it can't exist in the soil. (I've just done this to my backyard). You may consider a soil test especially because you said it used to be lawn and is now weeds, there may be a problem there. Soil test will tell you what amendments add to the soil for optimal growth. All you would need is to rent a tiller for a few hours to do this and some fertilizer and possibly some compost/black dirt. Once that's done just rake it smooth and put down sod.

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Have you searched the previous posts for this?