Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

killing IVY

I'm sure this has been covered before, though the search engine does not recognize 3 letter words...too bad Ivy isn't a four letter word . Anywho, we have a beutiful old oak tree in our back yard that has limbs for days. We would like to put up a swing, set up a picknick bench and have a summer shade haven in this otherwise sweltering area.

Problem? You guessed it, poison ivy/oak everywhere. Last season, we tried herbicide with mixed results and it quickly grew back. There is no way of pulling it by hand as it is just not feasible for such a large area. Obviously, herbicide seems the choice...question...which one do you recommend. How often and when should I reapply in order to reclaim this area.

any suggestions
dreadpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #2

killing IVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpoet View Post
I'm sure this has been covered before, though the search engine does not recognize 3 letter words...too bad Ivy isn't a four letter word . Anywho, we have a beutiful old oak tree in our back yard that has limbs for days. We would like to put up a swing, set up a picknick bench and have a summer shade haven in this otherwise sweltering area.

Problem? You guessed it, poison ivy/oak everywhere. Last season, we tried herbicide with mixed results and it quickly grew back. There is no way of pulling it by hand as it is just not feasible for such a large area. Obviously, herbicide seems the choice...question...which one do you recommend. How often and when should I reapply in order to reclaim this area.

any suggestions
To kill the climbing vines, you need to chop off the base to cut off water to the vine. Over time, it should die off.

For those in the ground, I had a friend who sprayed round up on the bottom of the leaves (non waxy) and then they died off.

Worse comes to worse, hire a landscape company to bring a skid steer out to clear out that area.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

killing IVY

If you use Roundup and follow the instructions you should only need to apply it once.

But even still, you're going to need to remove it, and the toxic oil is present on the dead vines too.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #4

killing IVY

Yes, and once they are dead, you cannot burn the ivy as it will disperse the oil into the air which you don't want to breathe.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote