Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2004, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

Kill the roots on a cut down tree

I just had a rather large willow tree cut down from my somewhat small back yard. This tree has been a nightmare since I move into the house just over 8 years ago. Now that is finally down I want to STOP it's roots from doing any more damage quickly. I also want to make sure this tree doesn't decide to sprout up anyway again. I do plan having the stump ground but budget doesn't permit that at the time. From what I understand this still may not stop a tree such as this from growing again anyway. The Base of the stump is over 12 ft around. I have done some surfing came up with a few ideas but would be open for any proven advise. I am not sure what will positively work right now on a tree that was this size. I poured round-up concentrate around the outside diameter of the cut surface within 4 hours of it being cut (I had some in the shed). I am planning on taking a trip to a grain and feed store that the arbotist recommended (although he did not recommend a product or chemical in particular. He has stated a tree like this one will really want to come back out of the ground, He told me if I did nothing it WILL grow back.
Does anyone need any firewood?

MgMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
Aussie Battler

MgMopar

If you have poured the Round-up all aroung the edge I will be very supprised if she comes. I have done similar on a Rubber tree and she was history. I think you will be fine, did you leave enough tree to carve yourself a table?

imported_Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:52 PM   #3

Alan, thanks for the reply I figured it should work but it just feels good to know that it has worked.

No, on the table, it is right at a fence line and it wouldn't be a good spot for a table. I am going to price what it will take to grind it out. I might wait a year or so for it to somewhat dry and try using coals to leval it.
MgMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:18 AM   #4

Well, the roots had a couple up sprouts this summer! Two near the stump and 3 off in the yard. The roots are still alive! I dowsed the shoots with tree and brush killer by scotts. After they turned brown I cut them out. The stump seems to be drying and looks dead. I guess I will keep the look out for up shoots the next few years. I would think the root system would have dye sometime without the tree their?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #5

Woody plants such as trees must be treated with products referred to as "brush killer" to be effective.If you're trying round up make sure it is the brush killer version.
spdavid is offline   Reply With Quote