Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Dorf dude...

Share |

Kill Ivy

How do you kill ivy? Is the only way to dig up every last speck of roots? Thanks, dorf dude...

Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #2

Kill Ivy

What kind of ivy, and where is it? If it is poison ivy, I cut the larger stuff in the woods with pruners or an ax, getting as many of the feeders as possible, and let it die, but in areas where it is smaller, like in the flower beds, etc., or just getting started up the side of a tree in the yard, we use the spray cans that you can buy at garden centers and big boxes. If it is a more ornamental variety, I would think that Roundup or a similar product would work.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Kill Ivy

Try this http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...temId=cat50072
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Kill Ivy

Go to TSC (Tractor Supply Company) and pick up a jug of Pronto Big N Tuf Weed & Grass Killer.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/pronto-...2-gal--4201103

Not sure why it's so expensive online, but just a couple weeks ago I picked up the 2-1/2 gallon jug for $29.99.

The Glyphosate (sp?) percentage in this stuff is 41% - which is about 6-8 times more potent than any of the stuff (including RoundUp) that you can get at your Box Stores.

I've been using this stuff with my hand-held sprayer, and it is brutal. Just don't get any on your grass!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Dorf dude...

Kill Ivy

Here is a pic of the ivy. Thanks for the suggestions but due to my location those are not options. Thanks for the replies, dorf dude...
Attached Thumbnails
Kill Ivy-img_1327.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
DIY'er

Kill Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks
Go to TSC (Tractor Supply Company) and pick up a jug of Pronto Big N Tuf Weed & Grass Killer.

Not sure why it's so expensive online, but just a couple weeks ago I picked up the 2-1/2 gallon jug for $29.99.

The Glyphosate (sp?) percentage in this stuff is 41% - which is about 6-8 times more potent than any of the stuff (including RoundUp) that you can get at your Box Stores.

I've been using this stuff with my hand-held sprayer, and it is brutal. Just don't get any on your grass!
That is way stronger than necessary. It is also inconsistant with the label directions to use it at 41% which makes it a violation of federal laws to do so. Using it at 41% puts your health and the health of others at risk as well.

Please use chemicals responsiably and legally. Read the label.

A 10% solution is legal (and still very potent) and works just as well on nearly everything.

Sent from my iPod touch using DIY Forum
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Kill Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
That is way stronger than necessary. It is also inconsistant with the label directions to use it at 41% which makes it a violation of federal laws to do so. Using it at 41% puts your health and the health of others at risk as well.

Please use chemicals responsiably and legally. Read the label.

A 10% solution is legal (and still very potent) and works just as well on nearly everything.

It's CONCENTRATE. 41% of what is IN THE BOTTLE is glyphosate. The purchaser is supposed to dilute it before spraying it. 3 ounces per gallon of water.

I assumed that was understood, or would be understood by anybody who would purchase the product and use it.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Dorf dude...

Kill Ivy

Guy's I can't buy it. Not that I know of anyway. I will do what I can digging it out. Thanks for the replies. dorf dude...
Old 07-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Kill Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumakerscott View Post
Guy's I can't buy it. Not that I know of anyway. I will do what I can digging it out. Thanks for the replies. dorf dude...
Am I right in assuming you can't buy the stuff because you're stationed in Germany?

Anyway, you might try some of these home-brew herbicides. I have no idea whether or not they'll work, but it might be worth a try.

http://www.small-farm-permaculture-a...r_formula.html
Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
DIY'er

Kill Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks

It's CONCENTRATE. 41% of what is IN THE BOTTLE is glyphosate. The purchaser is supposed to dilute it before spraying it. 3 ounces per gallon of water.

I assumed that was understood, or would be understood by anybody who would purchase the product and use it.
When you said it is 6-8 time more potent than retail products, I had the impression you were not diluting it. I think some retail sprays are as high as 3% or 5%.

The concentrate is only 6-8 times more potent if you mix it that way. You can purchase the concentrate and dilute it to the same % as a retail bottle.

Even if your figuring 6-8 times more potent than a 1% solution, that is still a pretty strong, but legal mix.

1-3% really kills a lot and I would not encourage anyone to exceed that until they have proved that dose ineffective.

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Kill Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
When you said it is 6-8 time more potent than retail products, I had the impression you were not diluting it. I think some retail sprays are as high as 3% or 5%.

The concentrate is only 6-8 times more potent if you mix it that way. You can purchase the concentrate and dilute it to the same % as a retail bottle.

Even if your figuring 6-8 times more potent than a 1% solution, that is still a pretty strong, but legal mix.

1-3% really kills a lot and I would not encourage anyone to exceed that until they have proved that dose ineffective.

Oh no, I'm diluting it.

My point was/is that you need to look at the Ingredients/Percentages on the label. Some of the RoundUp Concentrate is $29 per quart, and it only contains about 18% glyphosate. Mixed, it will yield about 5 gallons.

This Pronto stuff (just an off-name with the same active ingredient) is just far, far cheaper. Far more bang for the buck. This 2-1/2 gallon jug of Pronto will yield 100 gallons of diluted mix.

One of the main things that can be so deceptive about RoundUp (and the off-name products) is that it doesn't kill the weeds for about a week. It's really easy to think you didn't put it on heavy enough and, after 2-3 days, go back and spray the weeds again. It takes 2 weeks to really see the full effect of the herbicide.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Kill Ivy

It takes 2 weeks to really see the full effect of the herbicide.

not paraquat
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Kill Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumakerscott View Post
Ayuh,... Spray it with Bleach, right outa the jug, 'n it'll die...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Kill Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
It takes 2 weeks to really see the full effect of the herbicide.

not paraquat
Hahaha! If he can't buy RoundUp, it's a pretty good bet he can't get ahold of that stuff either.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
Dorf dude...

Kill Ivy

I went with the bleach idea. Let's see what happens. 9 hours into it no change. dorf dude...