Keeping Raccoons Away - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Rewards Points: 83

keeping raccoons away

We seem to be getting lots of raccoon droppings (I think they are) on our deck. I don't know what it is, but our small 16x16 back yard appears to get a lot of racoon activity.

Last year we found a dead one there.

This year, another one has been having a field day with droppings everywhere.

Is there a way we can redirect these guys away from our fenced in yard?

Advertisement

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

keeping raccoons away

Look around at what may be drawing them into your yard, then go from there. If you have outside garbage cans, cook out on a grill, eliminate the attraction elements.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

keeping raccoons away

We're having the same problem right now with "Roof Rats" eating my wifes garden alive. Just set some traps yesterday. They only seem to come out when the garden is ready to pick and as I understand quite prevalent in the southern U.S.

If anybody has any solutions other than a Phalanx close quarters radar operated BB gun I would appreciate it.

These puppies move like lightning!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

keeping raccoons away

Take a look at:
www.scarecrowinfo.com

It's a motion detection/sprinkler device that operates on a 9 volt battery for up to 4 months. It cost about $75.00 to $80.00.
the spray of water can cover an area 35 foot long by 45 foot wide and is adjustible. Most animals do not like to get wet plus the sudden burst of spray scares them away.
The spray lasts for about 2 to 3 seconds and has an 8 second reset time and then its ready for the next intrusion.
I ordered one and like the way it worked but had to have it replaced because the sensitivity adjustment did not work properly. When I told the manufacturer the problem, they agreed to send me another unit and said I could keep the one I have for spare parts. I intend to wire up a 9 volt AC adapter to it so that I can turn the device on at night. Using the devise with a battery may cause an issue with working around the garden. You can also just shut the water line off but the battery will still get used.

Last edited by rjordan392; 07-23-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: additional info
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Eibwen

keeping raccoons away

Thats a cool idea if it was just a racoon.

My wife and I were just out watching the "nightly show" and we saw a minimum of four roof rats cruising the fence. Please keep in mind I live in suburbia and the yards arent that big.

The bait traps seem to be working especially well when baited with some peanut butter.

Thanks for the input!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

keeping raccoons away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Thats a cool idea if it was just a racoon.

My wife and I were just out watching the "nightly show" and we saw a minimum of four roof rats cruising the fence. Please keep in mind I live in suburbia and the yards arent that big.

The bait traps seem to be working especially well when baited with some peanut butter.

Thanks for the input!
I thought peanut butter was used for skunks because the Racoons would not touch it? If I am wrong let me know and I will have to find a new bait.
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #7

keeping raccoons away

Don't know if it'll work for this or not...but some outdoor critters hate human hair, go to the chop shop for a supply, and sprinkle it around the area where they are. Not much invested if it works.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:15 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

keeping raccoons away

THe easiest way to find what is attracting them and elimainate the attraction u will be done with most of them and those who still return can be scared away for one or two days and wu will get rid of them.
HiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

keeping raccoons away

Another option you might want to check out is fox or coyote urine. It works on rodents and bunnies but I am not sure of other things (those were the only ones I was concerned with). If you call a local pest exterminator they usually sell it (of course ask if it works on those other pests first). Basically you are marking the area (anywhere they enter the yard) with something they regard as a predator so they back off.

I have also heard adult male human urine works too but couldn't tell you where I heard that one or if it actually works because I don't have any of that around here to try.

Advertisement

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote