Joint Sealing - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,022

Joint sealing

Not sure if right forum but here goes:
Where my concrete driveway apron meets the curb cut for the driveway there is about a 1/2 to 3/4" gap that I think should be sealed/caulked to keep water from further eroding soil under the apron and causing a failure down the road. I've seen some rubbery-looking caulk used over backer-rod at my work for joint sealing on the capstones of a retaining wall. Any idea if this stuff would work in my situation and if so, what/where can I get this stuff? If not right stuff, any recommendations?
TIA,
Bob

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Joint sealing

Bob,

I would seal it to prevent freeze cracks down the road. Don't think that erosion would be nearly as much concern. But, maybe!

I'm guessing that the product you are talking about at work is a butyl-rubber formula, probably a primer brownish -red color. I can see where they would use it there. Good adhesion, almost like a construction adhesive and flexes well. Have you looked at the concrete crack sealer in the caulking section at the Depot Mart or one of the patch mixes in the concrete section?

Actually I am a year late, hopefully in the next month or so, getting a crack sealed where I added some porch steps next to where my driveway is going into what was a carport before I closed it in. In Atlanta we get cold enough weather once in a while that could freeze under there after a rain then a cold front. That is my concern for you situation as well.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #3

Joint sealing

I'll look again but only stuff I remember seeing was silicone caulk and polyurethane caulk. This stuff on the wall at work is like silicone (very stretchy) but isn't smooth like cured silicone. It was a brownish/primer color but I assumed they used that to match the stone. I don't know how polyurethane caulks cure- are they stretchy like silicone or hard? All the buytl-based caulks I've used were for guttering and they never seemed to cure, always staying a bit tacky which I don't want where people are going to be walking and possibly tracking it around on their shoes.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Joint sealing

We have used backer board and sealer. You can get the sealer in the grey(cement) color at Home Depot. The backer we used looks like greay foam rope about 3/4 to 1" thick. Learned to use the backer board when the 12.00/per tube only filled a couple of feet.
In Michigan if you don't seal water goes down and when it freezes it causes the driveway to heave and of course it then cracks. Fortunately we did ours as the fiber(?) expansions the builder used rotted away so we haven't had to replace cement or have it lifted as one of my friends has had to do.
Maintainence prevents alot of headache and expense later. Do it pretty quick as the sealer has a temp. requirement that doesn't include cold weather.
agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Joint sealing

I've become a big fan of the polyurethane caulk. I've been using PL brand. They have a self-leveling version as well.

The big problem, however, is that there can be no moisture in the crack. Any little bit of trapped water will cause a bubble in the polyurethane caulk.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Joint sealing

bob22,

The product I used is SONNEBORN self leveling caulk. If you go to their WEB site they have user instructions. You will need backer rod (comes in various sizes and not expensive). Look for a local concrete supply house in your area as the big box stores only carry limited sizes of the backer rod.
The product if installed properly will last for many years.

Best of luck with the project, rredogg
rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #7

Joint sealing

Thanks all; I'll look for the products recommended.
Bob

Advertisement