Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
DIY Hack

Share |

I've replaced the battery and the solenoid in a 19Hp Toro lawn mower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advizo View Post
The 30 amp fuse keeps blowing everytime i try to start the engine. I've checked the battery cables and they are connected to the correct post. I've checked the wiring of the solenoid and they are correct. What could be the possible cause?
Bad Starter? Seized Engine?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #2

Suspecting a dead short, I would begin by performing a thorough visual inspection of the wire from the switch to the solenoid. You may be able to determine this in short order with an ohmmeter, but not necessarily, so I would probably just remove it, and, again, perform a visual inspection. If nothing there, I would remove the ignition switch, and check it with an ohmmeter, including checking all of the terminals to the case.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #3

I would say ignition switch too, can you hot wire the mower by using a screw driving to engage the solenoid?
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
The 30 amp fuse keeps blowing everytime i try to start the engine. I've checked the battery cables and they are connected to the correct post. I've checked the wiring of the solenoid and they are correct. What could be the possible cause?
2 thing's i would check is first can you turn the engine over?? if so motor motor lot sezed. Now get jumper cables and hook up to battery and now over to the starter direct to the pos on starter it should spin?? If all that work's ok . Than look for a short. Disconect the battery Now if you have a ohm meter (can't have voltage on the ohm setting) go from the pos cable to ground now turn the switch to start. If the meter goes to zero reading than their is a short? Now it could be reading the starter winding's. unhook the battery lead to the starter if it still read's zero than some where in that line the insulation rubed off?? Just have to take off wires tell the meter doesn't go to zero. Don't forget where the wires go. If you have lites on the mower unhook them could be a small wire rubbed through??? Just have to keep going tell you find it
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
In order to blow 30 amp fuses, you pretty much have to have a dead short somewhere.

The most likely culprit is your wiring. Is there anywhere it has rubbed against metal, worn off the plastic, and is shorted?

It's also possible that your solenoid has gone wonky. Not much to do there but replace it, which isn't too bad because it's probably a $10-$15 part.

Possible but even less likely is your starter or your ignition switch. Usually a bad starter just won't spin, or won't engage. And with the switch, there's really nothing inside the switch to "dead short" against.

That's where I'd start. Good luck!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote