Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

It's that time of year, completely redoing my yard (with pictures)

Currently my back yard is sectioned off. I have an interior fence area for the pool, then a large fence around the perimeter, with arbor vitae lining a majority of it.

This is the start:
http://imgur.com/fDGiW.jpg

The plan is this. I want to move the shed to the far rear corner of the yard. Take down the arbor vitae behind the shed, and remove the fence around the pool area. I'm doing a fence from the side of the garage to the property line, to keep within regulation of having the pool fenced in. Then on hte pad that the shed is on now, put up a 10' tall pavilion.

I got the arbor vitae down yesterday(saturday):

Taking it down to the back to burn, cutting it in 6' sections between yesterday and today.

Now, I'm certainly no pro. I've never undertaken anything like this before. Yesterday was my first time operating a chainsaw, sadly. However I'm pretty handy. So what sort of problems might I encounter from those more seasoned in doing stuff like this? Anything to make it easier on myself?

Also, how the hell can i move that shed? Can it even be done? I was thinking getting some round posts and dragging it slowly.

nasomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I am hoping to move my shed this summer as well. I am considering building a wooden "sled" under the storage building and towing it to the new location (see the link below).

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....rage_shed.html

sippinjoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

That's a good link, thanks. My concern is how to get under it, as it's sitting flat on a concrete pad, before I can jack it up. I was thinking maybe a 10' pry bar, but even that would be difficult, if it did the job at all.
nasomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #4

Several brainstorming thoughts:

A lot of hi-lifts have strap and hook attachments. But that may not get under it either.

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-LM100-...0201589&sr=8-1

What I would probably do is attach something to the outside of the shed to lift with. A beam accross either end or attach something to a solid part of the corner with carriage bolts. In otherwords, create a lifting point.

One that likely wouldn't actually work because of moving on grass/dirt would be to attach several trailer tongue jacks to the shed. Crank those down and push away.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ongue%2520jack

You can also rent a fork lift.
sippinjoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

Moving the shed is a big job....not to mention you have to prepare the spot it's going to be level and ready.
pjordan4477 is offline   Reply With Quote