Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Irrigation Winterize

Hello,

I had a lawn company come and winterize our irrigation system today, but i'm not fully confident it was done correctly (but then again maybe I don't know any better). I went with a different company this year because the one I went through last year was booked up to December. This only my second year having an irrigation system.

All he did was come to the house, ask me to turn off the ball valve in the basement, unscrew the white end cap, opened 4 zones at once with jumper wires in my box and blew air. Then did the same for the remaining 3 zones.

He didn't touch the outside valves or bleed valves at all. Is this right?

He blew until only air came out, but the contractor last year made the valves diagonal when compete. I can't remember about the bleed valves on the side. Does this make a difference if they were left open? Should I move them to diagonal?

In case you are wondering I only took pictures initially so I could see if this is something I could do myself in years to come and save some money.
Attached Thumbnails
Irrigation Winterize-img_2768.jpg   Irrigation Winterize-img_2769.jpg   Irrigation Winterize-img_2771.jpg   Irrigation Winterize-img_2775.jpg   Irrigation Winterize-img_2776.jpg  

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 11-07-2013 at 11:03 AM.
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

Irrigation Winterize

You're fine. The bleed valves are test ports which I've never seen used on my system. The valves are OK the way they are set.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #3

Irrigation Winterize

Quote:
so I could see if this is something I could do myself in years to come and save some money.
What do you plan on using for an air compressor ?
Most of the pros recommend something in the 50-100 CFM range for the compressor. That is pretty big.

You might want to compare the rental cost +hassle to the full service cost.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote