Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Irrigation System Supply exiting through House?

We bought a 1950s ranch a few months ago and I want to plan for a full flow irrigation system. Basically what's the bigger version of a Sill Cock that I can attach permanantly to the irrigation system? We've redone the main plumbing from the feed from the street to a 1" pex, and have made accommodations for where the old sill cocks leave the house. But I can only find 1/2 Sill Cocks? I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to get water out for an irrigation system that may water the lawn, vegetables etc... In our last house we had a very small yard, and had plastic flexible 1/2" pipe buried under ground, and then we had drip emitters. But that was attached to a regular frost free sill cock. I've heard a big irrigation system can put a big load on the system, so I have 1" PEX, which has a similar ID to 3/4" copper. It's 3/4" copper coming into the house, so that's as large as I can go!

Also where would be the backflow preventer, inside or outside? What accomodations are there for "frost free" systems that aren't using a standard 1/2" silcock? Right now it's 1" pex crimp, but I can switch to threaded or sweat, just trying to lay out how it exits the house.

Thanks!

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Starting with a shutoff valve inside, run a 3/4 line through a wall to the outside. Connect that to your backflow preventer. From there you connect the rest of the irrigation system using poly pipe or PVC (Poly is easier). If you want to have hoses attached to the irrigation system, add them using this type of fitting.

Since you are in NJ, you will need to blow your system out with compressed air each fall to prevent it from freezing.

djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 0

This really belongs in the plumbing section I think. It is about backflow prevention with a flow through valve and code concerns come to mind immediately. This is more than a landscape plumbing issue.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote