Irrigation System Supply Exiting Through House? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 192
Rewards Points: 186

Irrigation System Supply exiting through House?

We bought a 1950s ranch a few months ago and I want to plan for a full flow irrigation system. Basically what's the bigger version of a Sill Cock that I can attach permanantly to the irrigation system? We've redone the main plumbing from the feed from the street to a 1" pex, and have made accommodations for where the old sill cocks leave the house. But I can only find 1/2 Sill Cocks? I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to get water out for an irrigation system that may water the lawn, vegetables etc... In our last house we had a very small yard, and had plastic flexible 1/2" pipe buried under ground, and then we had drip emitters. But that was attached to a regular frost free sill cock. I've heard a big irrigation system can put a big load on the system, so I have 1" PEX, which has a similar ID to 3/4" copper. It's 3/4" copper coming into the house, so that's as large as I can go!

Also where would be the backflow preventer, inside or outside? What accomodations are there for "frost free" systems that aren't using a standard 1/2" silcock? Right now it's 1" pex crimp, but I can switch to threaded or sweat, just trying to lay out how it exits the house.



Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeastern MA
Posts: 1,766
Rewards Points: 42

Starting with a shutoff valve inside, run a 3/4 line through a wall to the outside. Connect that to your backflow preventer. From there you connect the rest of the irrigation system using poly pipe or PVC (Poly is easier). If you want to have hoses attached to the irrigation system, add them using this type of fitting.

Since you are in NJ, you will need to blow your system out with compressed air each fall to prevent it from freezing.


djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000

This really belongs in the plumbing section I think. It is about backflow prevention with a flow through valve and code concerns come to mind immediately. This is more than a landscape plumbing issue.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
House on Crawl Space - Sagging Center Beam - Need Advise stevenrossi Building & Construction 9 01-17-2017 10:32 AM
Radon system in old house rosieann Building & Construction 3 08-21-2011 07:32 AM
Need tips on winterizing lawn irrigation system...size of compressor etc. Hossenfeffer Landscaping & Lawn Care 8 12-02-2010 12:14 PM
Permit For Fire Sprinklers letnes Plumbing 18 10-14-2010 05:23 PM
Hot Water Heating System in older house GrannyAnnie HVAC 2 08-31-2008 04:50 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1