Irrigation System - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 286

Irrigation system

I am switching my sprinkler system from city water to a newly installed well. My question for this is should I run PVC from the well to the manifolds or poly pipe? Currently I have Poly going from the valves out, but I have PVC gong between the front and back yard valve boxes.

I really like the idea of the poly, because it's less likely to break if it freezes and it's easy to run, BUT the connection to the pump and to the valve box will be burried underground, so I worry about that a bit.

The other thing I do question is this pipe will run very close to a 30-40' silver maple. Would I be wrong to think the poly would hold up to roots better than the PVC?

One last thing is 75 psi poly ok to run or should I go with 125 psi pipe? They told me to use the 125 psi pipe from the pump to the pitless adapter inside the well casing. It'll likely be a 1hp pump pusing 19gallons per minute, but don't have all the specs yet.

I know this will probably get very opiniated responses, but trying to decide what to do so open to any replies I can get....

Advertisement

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Irrigation system

Go with the higher rated PSI pipe if you use poly. I would use PVC and probably Schedule 80 for a main supply line. I am not sure I can offer you a convincing argument as to why. You will probably be alright with either but with higher pressure I would feel more comfortable with glued PVC fittings.

I would install air compressor fittings to your system so you can have your whole system blown out at the end of the season. That will eliminate any change of burst pipes from freezing. You will have to hire somebody with the air compressor to handle the job but they are not expensive.

I hope you are thinking of implementing drip irrigation wherever you can. Why not put water just where you want it and in gallons per hour (GPH) instead of gallons per minute (GPM)? You will have minimal pressure requirements to maintain with drip as well.

You may have to switch out irrigation valves for drip as some for convention irrigation cannot handle the low flow rates. You might need a controller allowing longer watering times also. Your plants will love drip irrigation.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 286

Irrigation system

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Go with the higher rated PSI pipe if you use poly. I would use PVC and probably Schedule 80 for a main supply line. I am not sure I can offer you a convincing argument as to why. You will probably be alright with either but with higher pressure I would feel more comfortable with glued PVC fittings.
Thanks, that gives me something to think about as I had almost made my mind up to go with 125psi poly, mainly due to the roots of the maple tree. Not sure why, but it seems like it would hold up better over time. I'll look into the schedule 80 though.

Quote:
I would install air compressor fittings to your system so you can have your whole system blown out at the end of the season. That will eliminate any change of burst pipes from freezing. You will have to hire somebody with the air compressor to handle the job but they are not expensive.
I've already set one valve box up with a ball valve and an air fitting to make the job super easy. So far, I've been blowing mine and my fathers out with my compressor and have had no issues.

Quote:
I hope you are thinking of implementing drip irrigation wherever you can. Why not put water just where you want it and in gallons per hour (GPH) instead of gallons per minute (GPM)? You will have minimal pressure requirements to maintain with drip as well.

You may have to switch out irrigation valves for drip as some for convention irrigation cannot handle the low flow rates. You might need a controller allowing longer watering times also. Your plants will love drip irrigation.
Definately am doing that, which is one of my goals this spring is to finish placing all of the mini nozzles (or whatever those things are called).

I've been working closely with a local irrigation supply house while installing most of this system, just haven't had a chance to make it over there this spring and talk with them more since starting the well project.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote