Irrigation Advise - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Irrigation advise

I've got an 80' planter around my fence line. It's filled with various shrubs and perennials. I need to install an irrigation system so I don't have to water by hand. microsprinklers are out of the question because my dog would chew them up. Anything I use will have to go under the bark mulch.

Will 1/4" drip emitters work? With drip emitters, how do you ensure the whole root system gets water. Do you install a couple per plant? Or just place one right at the base of the stem?

I also noticed they make 1/4" soaker line. Can I buy some of this and put a circle of it around the base of each plant?

Thanks for the ideas.

Advertisement

mopowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #2

Irrigation advise

I'm getting ready to install an irrigation system in my 80' long planter. I noticed at the store they have both 1/2" and 5/8" poly tubing. At what point does 5/8" become necessary? Can I get away with 1/2" for an 80' run?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by mopowers; 06-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Irrigation advise

How wide is the planter? Sounds like a good job for soaker hose to me.
You can circle plants if desired or just run from plant to plant if not too close. drip emitters are good idea if you have few plants. Lots of time and energy/money for that system. I see it a lot in nurseries where they stick an emitter in the rootball of balled and burlapped trees. When they sell a tree they pull the emitter and shut it off.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Irrigation advise

The planter is only about 2 1/2' wide. There is only one line of various plants going down the middle about 2-3 feet apart. There are probably a total of about 30 shrubs and perennials.

Would you recommend using one big 1/2" or 5/8" soaker hose going through the whole planter; or use 1/2" poly as a trunk line, then branching to circles of small 1/8" soaker around each plant?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Irrigation advise

To correctly answer your question, we need to know:
What your load will be- i.e. how many gallons per hour you will need to supply.
What you pressure is.

Are you watering flowers, shrubs? I really think that the 1/2 inch would be fine.

Irrigation is similar to electrical with regards to pressure, size of pipe, GPH or volts, amps (and size of conductor), and watts.

I guess to be picky we could factor in the friction co-efficient of the pipe.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

Irrigation advise

Don't you think both of your questions could be answered in one thread?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Irrigation advise

2 threads on same issue merged
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #8

Irrigation advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
To correctly answer your question, we need to know:
What your load will be- i.e. how many gallons per hour you will need to supply.
What you pressure is.

Are you watering flowers, shrubs? I really think that the 1/2 inch would be fine.

Irrigation is similar to electrical with regards to pressure, size of pipe, GPH or volts, amps (and size of conductor), and watts.

I guess to be picky we could factor in the friction co-efficient of the pipe.

There are 32 plants total in the planter. The soil is clay, so I asuume it wil take less water flow to cover a larger spread. So lets say I use (2) 1gph drip emitters per plants. Thats 64 gph. 'm assuming the pressure is around 25psi, since that particular 'zone' is pressure reduced at the valve.

1/2" should be fine for this sceinaio right?

So now, I just need to decide whether to go with soaker hose, or drip emitters? Can anyone explain the pros and cons, and give me an opinion on which would be best in my situation???

Thanks guys!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Irrigation advise

I used to live in Chico just North of you and man does it get hot in the valley. Honestly you want your plants to become self sufficient as much as possible. Watering too often will keep the roots towards the surface. You want them to go deep in search of water. I think you may be trying to overkill it with the whole drip system. IMO only, it's your place do what you will. I would go soaker hose because you have perennials mixed in. If you were just doing single stem shrubs or trees I could see the emitters. You are going to have a lot more root base to cover, a soaker will do a better job IMO again. Remember water deep and don't get crazy with it.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Don't know it all, yet!

Irrigation advise

Now with a little more detail we can all see the picture. I vote with Bushman- one soaker hose right down the middle if you really need to do the water thing. The shrubs should be fine once established; the perennials will need a little more regular water while they are doing their thing. Once a week, good and deep.

Advertisement