Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 321
Share |
Default

Irrigation


Recently I put some ground cover and a few dwarf fruit trees in the same area (sloped). I installed micro sprinklers with a filter and pressure regulator (30 PSI).

I am thinking this is not an efficient design since I am wetting the whole area where the plants are not there.
I have attached photos. Can you please throw your ideas to make it more efficient ?
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010084.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010083.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010082.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010081.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010080.jpg
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 452
Default

Irrigation


Looks great! You've added tremendous curb appeal! I'm no landscaper but you have a lot of plants there so watering every where doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Maybe someone else can chime in though. Good job either way.
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 321
Default

Irrigation


Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperClad View Post
Looks great! You've added tremendous curb appeal! I'm no landscaper but you have a lot of plants there so watering every where doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Maybe someone else can chime in though. Good job either way.
Thank you for your nice comments.
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,293
Default

Irrigation


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
Thank you for your nice comments.



How exactly do you expect those plants to get water if you don't wet the entire area?????
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,293
Default

Irrigation


[quote=cprao;950422]Recently I put some ground cover and a few dwarf fruit trees in the same area (sloped). I installed micro sprinklers with a filter and pressure regulator (30 PSI).

I am thinking this is not an efficient design since I am wetting the whole area where the plants are not there.
I have attached photos. Can you please throw your ideas to make it more efficient ?
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010084.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010083.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010082.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010081.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/P1010080.jpg[/quote

Sorry for 2nd post,something wrong on site.

Last edited by Canarywood1; 06-24-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 321
Default

Irrigation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
How exactly do you expect those plants to get water if you don't wet the entire area?????
Trying to think of putting water just only to the roots, like drppiers for bushers and trees. Is there a way can the same be done for ground cover also ?
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Irrigation


I would think about adding some simple drip emitters for the trees. You might want to put them on a separate circuit so you can water longer and deeper. On a separate circuit you could even add a fertilizer injector for feeding the trees.

Drip emitters come in just about any configuration you can imagine these days ranging from sprayers, misters, bubblers and even rainjet type things. They range from about .5-12gph (gallons per hour). Make sure to allow for tree growth and not plunk the emitters too close to the trunk. Aim for the current and projected drip line.

There is something to be said for the simplicity of the self-cleaning, simple drip emitters about as much fun to watch in action as paint drying. When I designed drip systems I stuck with the simple ones most of the time and in the range of 1-4 gph. I did use a type that was convertible from mister, to drip to off depending on how you configured plastic plugs and they drew about 1-2gph. I just added more for water loving trees and shrubs. With residential water supplies providing 8-12 gpm (gallons per minute) it was pretty hard to run out of water and pressure is seldom an issue with drip unless you have long runs. You can get compensating emitters if this is the case.

I think your annuals and perennials will fill in nicely with the overal spray emitters you have.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,293
Default

Irrigation


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would think about adding some simple drip emitters for the trees. You might want to put them on a separate circuit so you can water longer and deeper. On a separate circuit you could even add a fertilizer injector for feeding the trees.

Drip emitters come in just about any configuration you can imagine these days ranging from sprayers, misters, bubblers and even rainjet type things. They range from about .5-12gph (gallons per hour). Make sure to allow for tree growth and not plunk the emitters too close to the trunk. Aim for the current and projected drip line.

There is something to be said for the simplicity of the self-cleaning, simple drip emitters about as much fun to watch in action as paint drying. When I designed drip systems I stuck with the simple ones most of the time and in the range of 1-4 gph. I did use a type that was convertible from mister, to drip to off depending on how you configured plastic plugs and they drew about 1-2gph. I just added more for water loving trees and shrubs. With residential water supplies providing 8-12 gpm (gallons per minute) it was pretty hard to run out of water and pressure is seldom an issue with drip unless you have long runs. You can get compensating emitters if this is the case.

I think your annuals and perennials will fill in nicely with the overal spray emitters you have.


What sdester said+1 that's the way to go for your trees.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 321
Default

Irrigation


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would think about adding some simple drip emitters for the trees. You might want to put them on a separate circuit so you can water longer and deeper. On a separate circuit you could even add a fertilizer injector for feeding the trees.

Drip emitters come in just about any configuration you can imagine these days ranging from sprayers, misters, bubblers and even rainjet type things. They range from about .5-12gph (gallons per hour). Make sure to allow for tree growth and not plunk the emitters too close to the trunk. Aim for the current and projected drip line.

There is something to be said for the simplicity of the self-cleaning, simple drip emitters about as much fun to watch in action as paint drying. When I designed drip systems I stuck with the simple ones most of the time and in the range of 1-4 gph. I did use a type that was convertible from mister, to drip to off depending on how you configured plastic plugs and they drew about 1-2gph. I just added more for water loving trees and shrubs. With residential water supplies providing 8-12 gpm (gallons per minute) it was pretty hard to run out of water and pressure is seldom an issue with drip unless you have long runs. You can get compensating emitters if this is the case.

I think your annuals and perennials will fill in nicely with the overal spray emitters you have.
I don't think I can put another circuit or another line since the whole area is connected to one valve. To run antother line, I need to break my driveway.

I am looking for this type of irrigation for ground cover:
http://www.irrigationdirect.com/irri...det700-518-100

and the regular 4 gph drippers for fruit trees.
http://www.irrigationdirect.com/irri...det700-518-100

Any comments on this ?
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,293
Default

Irrigation


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
I don't think I can put another circuit or another line since the whole area is connected to one valve. To run antother line, I need to break my driveway.

I am looking for this type of irrigation for ground cover:
http://www.irrigationdirect.com/irri...det700-518-100

and the regular 4 gph drippers for fruit trees.
http://www.irrigationdirect.com/irri...det700-518-100

Any comments on this ?

Can't you just use one of these.

http://www.garrettwade.com/solid-bra...ff/p/15T06.02/
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 321
Default

Irrigation


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
I can use them but they still be connected to one controlling valve that is operated by timer.
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,293
Default

Irrigation


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
I can use them but they still be connected to one controlling valve that is operated by timer.

You would be suprised how many seperate lines you can run off of that.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
covering irrigation up Startingover Landscaping & Lawn Care 15 05-23-2012 09:46 AM
Subsurface Drip Irrigation a_lost_shadow Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 03-25-2012 05:32 PM
Water Supply Connection for House and Irrigation jasontf Plumbing 1 06-01-2011 11:01 PM
Replacing old galv irrigation pipe tns1 Plumbing 8 09-11-2010 04:08 PM
Unsafe irrigation systems....? Why bother? Hossenfeffer Landscaping & Lawn Care 17 08-24-2010 02:14 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.