Invasive Ivy- Into My House!!! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Invasive Ivy- Into my house!!!

We have been in this house since June of last year, and spent the Fall remodeling the master bedroom (where we are now having the problem. New carpet, moulding, etc. Now that spring has sprung, we have had the following happen:

Invasive Ivy- Into my house!!!-image-2383366357.jpg

It seems that some kind of Ivy or vine from outside has made its way into the house and pushed its way out of our baseboard!!!!! The gardens around the house are definitely out of control- the previous owner hadn't really taken care of them for years.

I guess my questions are:

1) Has this ever happened to anyone else in the history of everything?
2) I am certain that pulling the vine/ivy where I see it behind the baseboard is not going to be sufficient to make this go away. How can I end this once and for all?
3) Is this indicative of some flaw in the envelope of the house or foundation or something? And if so- what can/should/must I do about it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

GerardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Indicative of some flaw? Um, yeah.

You've got vines infiltrating the outside of your house. Find where, get rid of the plants and fix the hole(s).

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Bill- Yeah in hindsight I shouldn't have put in the question about *if* it was indicative of a flaw, but more emphasis on the *how* to find where that flaw lies. I guess at this point I am thinking:

Take off the baseboard and track the vine to where it disappears into the wall
Possibly cut into drywall to follow it (i really don't want to do that because we just finished remodeling this bedroom but... oh well)
Locate the corresponding area outside where the plants have gotten in.... and seal it?

My house is on a concrete slab, so unless the vines got through the vinyl siding (possible) it may be coming through a crack in the foundation?

Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have seen ivy pry windows open when people turned their back on it but I have never seen it come through an interior wall.

You are going to find out where it is coming from and it is time to get control of the yard!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Go outside. Crawl around the perimeter of the house. Kill anything trying to attach or bore it's way into the house. This ain't rocket science. An excellent place to start would be near wherever there's already ivy growing. Ivy doesn't typically infiltrate walls like that. What's going on outside?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #6

There will be no stopping that sucker...Jack and the beanstalk,,,,,
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
There will be no stopping that sucker...Jack and the beanstalk,,,,,
Agreed. It will soon tower over your house. Cover the ivy up with spackle, one coat of primer, two coats of paint, and sell the house.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k

Agreed. It will soon tower over your house. Cover the ivy up with spackle, one coat of primer, two coats of paint, and sell the house.
I can't say I'm overly fond of this plan...
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Thats some funny stuff
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Plant kudzo under cover of darkness since it is illegal now. It is another classic example of what happens when you plant non-native plants without thinking. Livestock love it and it has pretty flowers once a year.

It grows 8'-12' in a day. It will overtake the ivy so fast you will never know it was there. Call the insurance company in a couple of months and tell them your house has literally disappeared. They might see a crude shape where it was but will not be able to argue with you.

Seriously, I would find as much of the ivy as you can and cut it off at the ground. Just keep at it perhaps with a non-selective brush killer. Whether you can get chemicals that will do any good without a permit and perhaps an applicators license is the question.

Call the SyFy channel and see if they want to use your house for filming.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

That is hilarious, but there is a good reason Ivy is banned in many places. I would suggest some heavy doses of herbicides to get rid of the Ivy anywhere. It's a nuisance and will damage your house. People think it's pretty, but it will eat brick for lunch. Not to mention all the junk which gets caught on the brick wall and decay and eat away more at your brick, particularly the mortar which under acidic conditions gets eaten away.

Spring is actually the best time to spray, so you're in luck, because once the leaves mature, they become almost impervious to the most common (and safe) herbicides. If it were my house, I would rip every last shred of Ivy off my property, and reach across and rip out my neighbors too. It will keep coming back unless you do something about it. Once you've physically removed all you can, spray anything else with round up (glyphosphate) which quickly decays into harmless chemicals after a few days. There are stronger herbicides which probably are necessary, but roundup is very safe and may be enough for young ivy leaves. But you have to do it in the spring when leaves are new, so don't wait.
Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Let's be careful not to lump all forms of ivy looking vines into the same species. Some is quite beautiful and will not pry windows open or chew up brick tuckpointing.

As with any vine, you have to know what you are planting.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 508

Stronger herbicides can be found here:
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ivy

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ivy

Now, keep in mind that any pieces of ivy that you cut off and fall to the ground can start growing its own roots. After cutting it back, if you can, dig down and remove the roots. Apply an herbicide (glyphosate/roundup is fine) to the cut ends of anything that can't be removed. It has to be applied to the cut ends, because Ivy leaves have a waxy coating and will not absorb the herbicide.

http://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/libr...vy-control.pdf
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

GerardW. You might want to update your profile to include basic geographic information as to where you are.

Even though marked for DIY use, you may need a permit or an applicator license to use some herbicides or you could be subject to fines.

And do follow the directions carefully and mix only to the concentration specified on the label. A lot of useful chemicals were removed from the consumer market because folks mixed them too strong and they were threatening the environment to the point they had to be banned.

Advertisement