Invading Grass - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

invading grass

howdy
I have grass from my lawn invading my flower beds.
I allready have a three foot solid wood fence seperating them and the beds are eighteen inches lower than the grass.
I figured on some kinda border between the grass and the fence like pavers or concrete maybe redwood bark or chips but can I do some extra step to ensure that the grass stays OUT:confused:
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Advertisement

Tyler707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Property Manager

Rewards Points: 25

invading grass

There are basically three things you could do here. One: use at least an inch of mulch or stones on the beds to prevent light from getting to the grass shoots. Two: plant the beds full of flowers or plants. The idea there is similar to item one, in that the plants grow taller than the grass and the shade they cast will block enough light to keep the grass from growing even if they do get through. Three: keep cultivating your beds every week!

I prefer item one as it tends to be the closest to "No Maintenance".

Advertisement

MrNoMaintenance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:40 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonicera

invading grass

A mechanical barrier works well. You can use plastic, aluminum, or steel edging. However, the barrier must be deeper than the runners your grass sends out, or it will continue to invade the flower beds.

This link might help, too: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...de/Edging.html
Lonicera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #4

invading grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNoMaintenance
There are basically three things you could do here. One: use at least an inch of mulch or stones on the beds to prevent light from getting to the grass shoots. Two: plant the beds full of flowers or plants. The idea there is similar to item one, in that the plants grow taller than the grass and the shade they cast will block enough light to keep the grass from growing even if they do get through. Three: keep cultivating your beds every week!

I prefer item one as it tends to be the closest to "No Maintenance".
How about a walkway as a border between the grass and fence? If I do that which is what wife wants. how far down should I dig to prevent grass invasion? As far as covers I am using a landscape fabric.This is a herb and vege garden so I can't have anything to thick like a mulch or bark cover.
I am trying to seperate the grass from the beds without to much work I even sprayed herbicide as a border along the fence but I still had grass shoots come up in beds.
Tyler707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Property Manager

Rewards Points: 25

invading grass

You would need to dig down about 4 - 6 inches. This would be to create a stable base for the paving stones or whatever you decide to use. If you go with a gravel type of walkway then I would think you’ll continue to have the same problem --- between the grass and gravel instead.

Now if you’re talking about a herb or vegetable garden --- where you’re cultivating every year, then an excellent “mulch” to use are the grass clippings from your lawn! They decay in time to cultivate and if not they easily work back into the soil for nutrients. Works like a charm!
MrNoMaintenance is offline   Reply With Quote