Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Share |

Installing stone steps

hi I am installing stone steps to a patio from back of my kitchen walkout. The steps will be made out of these Lowes' stone blocks :

Oldcastle Olde Manor Wall Stone

The back of the steps will be paved with small interlocking pavers. Underneath will be a layer of proper crushed rocks base and sand. Please see my picture. The 3 levels of stone steps will not overlap each other. They will just sit on proper compacted crushed stone base. My concern is : will this 3-level step configuration hold ? The reason is these stones have no "lips" at the back to anchor onto the ground to provide staibility, and I have no way of gluing the 1st level with the 2nd level, and the 2nd level with the bottom level - because the levels don't overlap. NOTE : the bottom level is getting buried a little bit into the soil as you can see from the photo. This will help resist the force from the back pushing the stone. But I'm concerned about the 2nd and 3rd level of the steps.

What's the best way to secure this configuration ?

EDIT : Forgot to say the steps are on all three sides of the patio, not just one side.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing stone steps-installingstonesteps.jpg  

Last edited by timcsi; 12-07-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I forgot to say steps are at all three sides of the patio
timcsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #2

Installing stone steps

I see no way that's going to work. I'd form out with 1 X 4's and pore concrete as a footing that goes all the way under all the steps you plan to set with rebar in the form. The style blocks your thinking of using do not meet code for tread width. It needs to be 11".

Last edited by joecaption; 12-07-2011 at 05:22 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #3

Installing stone steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I see no way that's going to work. I'd form out with 1 X 4's and pore concrete as a footing that goes all the way under all the steps you plan to set with rebar in the form. The style blocks your thinking of using do not meet code for tread width. It needs to be 11".
I agree.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote