Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #1

Share |

installing poly pipe for sprinkler

I am having a asphalt driveway installed soon in NY and will add an inground lawn sprinkler system in the future. Before the paving is done I was planning on putting a length of poly pipe in the ground to cross the 17' width driveway area to a small section of the lawn on the other side of the driveway. Is this a good idea or will weight on the driveway collapse the pipe? Should it be a certain depth?

newgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It is a great idea. Leave yourself enough room for 3/4"-1" pipe and wire for a remote valve or low voltage lighting if that is part of plans. You could use schedule 80 if you are really worried about crushing it and since you need just 20' or but schedule 40 will be sufficient. Dry fit caps on to the ends to keep it clear. I would be more worried about burrying it below your freeze depth than how far under the slab to put it. You will not be putting enough force directly on it to crush it.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

I would run a pvc pipe across the driveway. You can use fittings to connect the poly pipe to the pvc or you can use an oversized pipe and use it as a sleeve. 18-24" should be good for depth. If there is anything that has to go over there in the future (electrical, water, etc.) now is the time to run it.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

I would even spend the extra $4.85 for an extra run of pvc and cap it off just in case for some future project.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
South Jersey

Old post, I know. If it were me I'd run a 4" peice of PVC for all kinds of future stuff. Wishing I'd thought of it when I had my house built.

Oh well.
Reddhead is offline   Reply With Quote