Install Low Deck 12" Away From House To Allow Climbing Vines? (PICS) - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

install low deck 12" away from house to allow climbing vines? (PICS)

Hi, new here! Hoping this question makes sense. We are installing a small floating deck on the back of the house in an L shaped area. Right now the deck would butt up against two main walls. But I'd love to have climbing vines on one of the walls so I'm wondering if it makes sense to install the deck a foot away so things can grow behind it. (id like to have vines on the right side, where the chairs are in the photo) It would be about 20" high so the sun wouldn't reach a lot of the base of the plants. Does this idea sound bad? I think vines all over the back would be gorgeous, but I don't know if they would be able to grow. The spot is on the South side of the house. Any ideas? Thanks!
Attached Images

Advertisement

AKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Vines right beside the house is actually not a good idea as it'll grow into gaps between sidings and pry the sidings out ...

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree with Stephen S. Just plant your vines in an earth box or planter and use a trellis.