Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

inexpensive driveway solutions

We just bought our first house and looking at doing something with the driveway. Right now its just a long single car wide leading up to a double wide at the end. It basically just dirt/grass/gravel... looks like it was once some type of rock driveway 10 years ago.

I don't want to just do the cheap rocks. (i grew up with them and i hated them). I'd be okay with rounded stones but from what i see those are pretty expensive. I know I have a big driveway so anything is going to cost more but anyone know of any other good driveway solutions other then the cheapest rock you can get... but at a comparable price.

Thanks!

Last edited by kate0558; 12-26-2011 at 03:59 PM.
kate0558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

The price limit you suggested will limit options, because you will be limited to the local materials (freight is very costly and often more than the rock).

Anything round will move around and be unstable.

what is available in your area, since it varies across the map.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #3

I had a load of crusher run spread this fall and so far I'm really liking it. It kind of locks together and goes hard like cement. In fact, I think thats what you are supposed to use as a base under cement or asphalt.

The problem with rounded stone is they will never "lock" together so clearing the the driveway of ice and snow will be a huge pita. Riding a bike, road hockey and basketball are all out also.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

I use limestome, but, as CM mentioned, the availablity of various material is going to vary by area. Regardless, I definitely agree with something that is rough and irregular. Round, similar size stones may work for landscaping features, but it is not good for vehicle traffic. Depending on your soil, and the amount of preparation that went into your driveway, which often is not adequate, it is not uncommon to have to add some every so many years, but, other than that it holds up pretty well. Typically, I gouge mine with a backhoe every sping and fall, then regrade it, to address low spots and bring the stone back to the top, which keeps it looking nice. We live about 2 miles or so off of the pavement though, which means we drag in a lot of mud, cow manure, and whatever else is out there, but, if you're on a paved road, the maintenance may be less. I also usually end up spraying some Roundup about once a year, but that's only because we have a sizable area in front of the shop, some of which doesn't get a lot of vehicle traffic, so, there again, your situation may be different.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 96

No one here can possiblly know what your local conditions are, In my area you have to put down driveway cloth then the gravel or crush and run. If not it just sinks in. It also helps to keep the grass from growing. Round up is a waist of money, use total vegatation killer it should last almost a year.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

Let's start with this:

Where are you?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

I have been meaning to ask the schuckers at the local seafood restaurant what they do with their oyster shells. Over the course of a year, they probably end up with a pretty good jag of oyster shells. I wonder if I dropped them a special dumpster if they would separate them out for me.

I'm gonna get right on this.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Round up is a waist of money, use total vegatation killer it should last almost a year.
Thank you, Joe; I appreciate the insight. For 20 some years now I have been grading the driveway in April or May, depending on how much snow melt we have, waiting a few weeks, spraying the areas where we don't drive much, then grading it again in late September or early October, and have always thought it looked great. I'll have to remember to get a new pair of glasses and use the expensive stuff next year.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #9

To the OP:

At our last house we had crushed stone, which like someone else pointed out, goes everywhere in the winter when plowing. And one year, a few times, we would actually say "I'm gonna have to mow the driveway" because the weeds and stuff would be growing up.

I have heard some neighbors say they have good luck with stone dust.

Don't rule out paving. At our last house, it was going to cost something like $2,000 to bring in enough crushed rock, and it was going to cost $2,400 to have it paved. We went with the paving, and it held up great for at least ten years.
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4

I've been hankering to get myself some of that used carpet in 12' widths and use that as an underlay.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #11

Thanks... we are in the Raleigh, NC Area.

We moved here about a year and a half ago from NJ so I don't know whats available or even works good in the area.

We are estimating that the driveway is about 50 feet long.

I'd prefer to pave it. But he says its gonna cost like 5k or something like that to pave this long of driveway. Growing up my parents always had rock driveways and granted they never had the money to have dump truck loads of rocks brought in. So instead they'd pick up a few bags to fill in all the potholes that had accumulated. It was constant. It may have just been because they needed a thicker layer of rocks but I always hated their driveway.

But I also don't have 5k to throw down to get the driveway paved.
kate0558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #12

Tar and chip might be another option for you, which should be around 1/2 the cost of a full pave job. The process basically involves putting down a thin layer of tar (more of a mist than a layer), then spreading small irregular stones over it, then another layer of tar, topped off with another layer of stones. a 3rd (and possibly 4th) layer is usually a good idea, but if you currently have weeds growing in your driveway have the additional layer(s) done a few months later... wait to see if any weeds come up through and take care of them with a very strong weed killer. Put the final layer on only after all the weeds are dead.

This is the only process I could recommend using decorative stones with... you can use them as the final layer's top coat - and the tar will help hold them in place. I'd still keep the stones as a darker color, as some stones will undoubtedly flip over and show tar stains. 3 layers will probably be about an inch to an inch and a half thick, so you MAY have to fill in the sides next to your driveway with some topsoil - otherwise you might have problems with mowing grass.
teststrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
Tar and chip might be another option for you, which should be around 1/2 the cost of a full pave job. The process basically involves putting down a thin layer of tar (more of a mist than a layer), then spreading small irregular stones over it, then another layer of tar, topped off with another layer of stones. a 3rd (and possibly 4th) layer is usually a good idea, but if you currently have weeds growing in your driveway have the additional layer(s) done a few months later... wait to see if any weeds come up through and take care of them with a very strong weed killer. Put the final layer on only after all the weeds are dead.

This is the only process I could recommend using decorative stones with... you can use them as the final layer's top coat - and the tar will help hold them in place. I'd still keep the stones as a darker color, as some stones will undoubtedly flip over and show tar stains. 3 layers will probably be about an inch to an inch and a half thick, so you MAY have to fill in the sides next to your driveway with some topsoil - otherwise you might have problems with mowing grass.
And then you could buy the petroleum-based solvent you will require in fifty-five gallon drums to save some money. This way you will have plenty of solvent on hand at all times to clean your house and auto carpets and to keep your shoes tar-free. Be careful soaking the dogs feet in the solvent though because it will be an irritant to the animals skin over a short time.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #14

So Kate, Are you properly confused yet?

Look in the phone book for aggregates or sand and gravel companies. Ask how much per yard for the type the company recommends. They will help you determine howm many yards you need. Length x width x depth.
Somebody said stone dust. Stone dust is what helps crusher run bind together and lock like cement. Don't get rounded stones or irregular pieces that are too big. You will be sorry. The only problem with crusher run is that until the stone dust settles you May track a small amount. After mine was spread ( I didn't have access to a compactor) I simply ran my vechicle up and down the driveway to compress and tighten.

The whole process cost me $300 ish , delivery included. Driveway= 18x 100
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
Tileguy

There is plenty of crushed stone available in that part of the country.

Martin - Marietta
2710 Wycliff Road
Raleigh, NC
(919) 787-9504

They can advise you on the proper procedures for installing a driveway
and probably give you a local estimate of the cost.

creeper (12-27-2011)