Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Over Dirt - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Over Dirt

Hi All! I am renting a place with a small backyard (25' X 9'). The backyard looks like it has been neglected for some time. I cleaned up all the dead grass, pulled up all the weeds and now it's nothing but dirt. I want to turn this area into a community area. Nothing fancy. Something simple like a few chairs, a table and a bbq grill.

I'm renting so I don't want to dig deep into my pockets as I'll only be here for no more than a few years. I was thinking about laying this carpet at Home Depot over it and staking it in place. I'll be leveling out the dirt before laying the carpet. Also, I live in Southern California so we don't get much of the elements except for sun. Since I'm not an experienced handy person, I want to get your opinions on this plan. Thanks and I appreciate your opinions in advance.

I attached a picture of how the lot currently looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Over Dirt-20130811_115318.jpg  

Advertisement

popcornmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #2

Hi All! I am renting a place with a small backyard (25' X 9'). The backyard looks like it has been neglected for some time. I cleaned up all the dead grass, pulled up all the weeds and now it's nothing but dirt. I want to turn this area into a community area. Nothing fancy. Something simple like a few chairs, a table and a bbq grill.

I'm renting so I don't want to dig deep into my pockets as I'll only be here for no more than a few years. I was thinking about laying this carpet at Home Depot over it and staking it in place. I'll be leveling out the dirt before laying the carpet. Also, I live in Southern California so we don't get much of the elements except for sun. Since I'm not an experienced handy person, I want to get your opinions on this plan. Thanks and I appreciate your opinions in advance.

I attached a picture of how the lot currently looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Over Dirt-20130811_115318.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

RV'ers have carpets/mats that are placed directly on the ground outside their RV to create a more livable area. They are designed to let rainwater pass through, be broom cleaned or hosed off, etc. I don't see why you can't do something similar.

example:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...20-brown/19301
Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
RV'ers have carpets/mats that are placed directly on the ground outside their RV to create a more livable area. They are designed to let rainwater pass through, be broom cleaned or hosed off, etc. I don't see why you can't do something similar.

example:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...20-brown/19301
Great idea! Will definitely look into. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 524

It would be cheaper and nicer to put down grass seed. A small lawn like that would be real easy to take care of. That carpet will get real nasty once people start walking on it. It will force the dirt up thru it everytime someone steps on it. Any rain will make a muddy mess of it.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
joecaption (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 672

Would not cost much to even sod that tiny an area so you would have an instant lawn.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

What about those recycled-tire rubber mats, about 3'x3'? No further maintenance required (apart from a water rinse), no cutting grass, no lawn-mower...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,316

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
popcornmoney (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

I was thinking about grass seeds or sod, but I'm certain that my lack of attention would eventually cause the grass to die and I'll be back with a dirt lot. I'm looking for something that's easy on the maintenance. Rubber mats could be a solution. Thanks for that idea!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Thanks Rusty! Probably the best advice next to don't eat yellow snow.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What about artificial turf (not athletic astroturf)? Designed to hold up better than indoor/outdoor carpet. I think decent stuff is under $2/sf online? You probably have to put something underneath it though and I imagine the options are as broad as carpet padding. I believe even box stores and evil WalMart carry it. Not sure of the quality.

If you think again about seed or sod, do not underestimate what it takes to establish sod depending on where you are. A seed lawn will establish as fast if not quicker. Either way you have to prep the soil thoroughly.

Last edited by user1007; 08-12-2013 at 06:32 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Moved to landscaping forum.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 780

what about mulch or pine straw?
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 592

Small stones would cover the ground.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
What about artificial turf (not athletic astroturf)? Designed to hold up better than indoor/outdoor carpet. I think decent stuff is under $2/sf online? You probably have to put something underneath it though and I imagine the options are as broad as carpet padding. I believe even box stores and evil WalMart carry it. Not sure of the quality.

If you think again about seed or sod, do not underestimate what it takes to establish sod depending on where you are. A seed lawn will establish as fast if not quicker. Either way you have to prep the soil thoroughly.
Turf would be my #1 option but I'm not really trying to dig deep into my pockets. It's possible I could get my landlord to pitch in as turf will seem to last far after I leave the property.

Advertisement