Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Improving my grading

I'm trying to improve the grading in our back yard. Due to a flat or sometimes negative grading, water is not flowing away from the house and is causing some of the wood frame of our house to rot. I need to increase the height of the soil against the house but am afraid of putting new soil in direct contact with the house's wood framing (the wood frame extends all the way down to about 2 - 3 inches above the ground). If I put new soil against the wood frame I think I'll just be causing more problems for myself. Is there a way I can safely separate the house frame from the soil with plastic or tar or both? I'll try putting in a French drain later, but my 1st priority is just getting the water flowing towards the right direction. I'm new at this so I'm wondering if this is a job for a landscaper? Any expert opinions are welcomed.

Thanks for any good advice, Steve

Last edited by teeb57; 08-19-2013 at 03:09 AM.
teeb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,110

Improving my grading

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeb57 View Post
I'm trying to improve the grading in our back yard. Due to a flat or sometimes negative grading, water is not flowing away from the house and is causing some of the wood frame of our house to rot. I need to increase the height of the soil against the house but am afraid of putting new soil in direct contact with the house's wood framing (the wood frame extends all the way down to about 2 - 3 inches above the ground). If I put new soil against the wood frame I think I'll just be causing more problems for myself. Is there a way I can safely separate the house frame from the soil with plastic or tar or both? I'll try putting in a French drain later, but my 1st priority is just getting the water flowing towards the right direction. I'm new at this so I'm wondering if this is a job for a landscaper? Any expert opinions are welcomed.

Thanks for any good advice, Steve
Ayuh,.... That ain't gonna work,...

Ya gotta Lower the grades further away from the house,....

Water flows downhill, yer plan just moves the dam back to the house,...

The wood Can't be sub-grade,....

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Improving my grading

Thanks Bondo, I was afraid of that
teeb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Improving my grading

Sounds like time for a French drain. Perhaps with a pump if you can't run it to daylight.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote