Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Improving Drainage

Folks,

This year I bought a cottage that is built on a slab foundation and sits lower than the road which is about 10 ft away. During periods of heavy rain I have noticed that the carpets in the bedrooms are wet along the wall that runs parallel to the road. I assume the wetness is from the runoff from the roads and is getting in where the stud meets the slab. I do not see standing water but there is a small rock bed along the wall.

I was thinking of running drain tile along this wall to carry the water around the coattage. Can anyone recommended that best approach to do this?

I was think of digging a ditch along the wall, lining it with something like a vapour barrier (at least where the stud wall joins the slab) and putting perforated pipe in the ditch and then back filling it and replacing the rock bed. I have tried to provide a little iagram below

Any other hints/warnings?

Kelly

......| |..................................... __________ ROAD
......| |................................ _____/
stud..| | ...........................____/
wall..| |.......................____/
......| | |oooooooo rocks...___/
......| | |oooooooo.....___/
======== |__________/
slab... ||O (perforated pipe)
======== | Vapour barrier

mesa98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,092

Improving Drainage

You did not mention how much the road is above for slab level.

If it is not too much. you can build a "swale" around your home - Slopeing down from the house to a drainage path and them upward. This will carry the surface water around and away from the house. If that does not work, you can always go through the complication and mess of intalling drain tile, "vapor barriers" (actually waterproofing) and other things.

The rock laying on the surface ot the ground does nothing to help and your cottage is built too low (wood should be at least 6" above the surrounding garde) for the site and conditions. That is why you have to change the drainage.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Improving Drainage

Like concretemasonry, I'm not sure I am clear on the elevation perspective.

Cm, I think he is on the same page with with his "ditch" idea, just a different paragraph. Basically a swale with drain tile covered with gravel. Seems like extra work to me also unless there is a particular reason for filling it in.

Just for an idea:
Come out from the house about three feet, take out a shallow swale and take that soil and put it back as a berm directly in front of the house. In a way, you get twice the good for your effort. Then maybe plant whatever is appropriate on top at the front edge of the berm. Any plant material will help some with absorbing the water, and may actually help with the irrigation for the plants, depending on what you use. That may not be possible with your exact grade but just an idea.

Cm- not sure I follow where upward is.
Quote:
Slopeing down from the house to a drainage path and them upward
Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #4

Improving Drainage

Gents,

Thanks for the quick reply. The roadway is probably about 3-4 higher than the slab. There are also a couple of spruce trees about 3 feet from the cottage and 10 feet from the road. I have never seen standing nor flowing water around the cottage. I am assumimg the water is in the ground which is why I though some kind of a barrier would be good to protect where the stud wall meets the slab.

Does the following illustrate your recommendations correctly? I guess depending on how much I like hard work and spending money I could still add the water barrier and/or the perforated pipe (in the burm or along side the cottage?)

Kelly

......| |............................................____ ROAD
......| |..................................... _____/
stud..| | ................................____/
wall..| |............................____/
......| |......................_____/
......| |.........__.....,,_____/
========]......../...\____/
........|_______/
slab....|
========]
Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Improving Drainage

mesa,
I'm a little concerned with those trees. How close are they to where we are talking about a swale? How big are they? Could be some root compromise there.

Forgot to ask this earlier, but maybe a good waterproofing coat on the slab where you originally were thinking the drain tile. I presume it's not a terribly big job to dig out along there?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #6

Improving Drainage

Downunder,

The spruce trees are about 15ft high and about 3 ft from the cottage. Unfrotunately I haven't been able to see exactly how deep the slab is below the grade or where the roots from the trees go.

I will have to do this before deciding my final course of action. I was thinking I could build the swale about 2 ft from the cottage and make it about a foot or 2 wide wide and a foot high. I don't think that adding a water barrier at the same time would by that much incremental work and would help guarentee success.

Kelly
Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Improving Drainage

I would not get closer to the house than three feet with a swale. Water has a funny way of not going straight down; it will follow the path of least resistance. You would not believe how many broken water lines I have dug up, starting at where the water is coming up, and found the leak ten-fifteen feet away. Bummer on a shovel, not to bad if you can get in there with a backhoe.

FYI- Roots could be causing or may cause problems in the future. Could have caused a crack already.

Roots from the trees usually extend twice to three times the width of the dripline. If your dripline is say, ten feet, then you have a root system of twenty feet or better. Dripline, if you don't know, is the outside diameter of the branches. Thats ten feet from the trunk out. If your trees are about three feet from the wall, it's only a matter of time if you don't already have problems there. Hard to know until you have to dig it up, but that's my guess from the ones I have.

Considering the slope, you are probably safer, from the tree's perspective,
digging uphill, on the street side of the trees. Less likely to damage the root system.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #8

Improving Drainage

Thanks again for your help. My next step will be to do a little investigation/digging so that I know exactly what I am dealing with. Once this is done I may solicit your assistance again.

Kelly