Improve Drainage For Clay Around Base Of House - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Improve Drainage for clay around base of house

Hi,

I have recently purchased a house in Nw Georgia and around the base of the house are 7 openings that are approx 1' x 2' in dimension that are air openings to the crawlspace under the house. As is now, there are bricks around the opening and dug down a little but at same time, when it rains, the water collects and of course will go in the vents to the crawlspace underneath the house. The soil was level with the bottom of the vent so I had dug a little deeper hoping for water not just have a place to roll into. Well with all the recent rain here it was a good time to check out if what I had done would help at all, it really did not.

When I checked it out, there was standing water where I had dug a little deeper and obviously went into crawl space.

There was the crawl space opening door where the soil level was even with the bottom of the opening, I dug around about 2 red bricks deep and put up some bricks to try and wall that in (similar to front of house as mentioned above) and then added some Egg Stones to fill in. Well when chcecking during the night, the water had come up to the top of the rocks with no drainage.

Any ideas or thoughts would greatly be appreciated as would really like to knock this out.

Any questions that may have, am more than happy to reply.

Thanks all

Advertisement

kango86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Gutters on the home? Is this occurring under an area that has gutters?

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

Thanks for reply,

No there are not any gutters, will be putting some up in May as this is an older home and was purchased foreclosed and does need work. Will be replacing roof and adding the gutters also at time of new roof.

I am thinking if not much could do with the actual issue with somehow softening or getting soil to a more porous state, maybe run a pvc pipe from bottom and have it drain out to yard or away from house.

Was looking for some other thoughts but not much else as far as soil here in GA.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:
I am thinking if not much could do with the actual issue with somehow softening or getting soil to a more porous state, maybe run a pvc pipe from bottom and have it drain out to yard or away from house.
Ayuh,... The only Real answer to fix yer problem is to lower the grade around the house, so's it pitches Away from the house....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

The water has to either flow (downhill) away from your crawl space or be pumped.

An outdoor sump pump and pit can be installed provided that the pump is removed and put away indoors during freezing weather and you can live without it then.

Softening the soil or replacing it with more porous soil is not considered a practical solution. But if in the process of digging in order to put in an underground French drain system to complement the sump pump pit, you by luck break through to more porous soil, you might find that turning the French drain into a leach field (same pipework, no changes other than omitting the pump, just don't pour washing machine water or toilet water into it) will solve the problem.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-28-2011 at 08:56 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #6

Thanks all for your replies, will take all into consideration with what will be best bet for time being as well as long term.

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Advertisement