Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ignorant neighbor sump pump discharge

Hello fellow DIYers,
For the last 3 years my lovely neighbor has had her sump pump drain into my backyard. Iíve called the city and she can do it because the outlet is 10ft from my property. Problem is we have a very high water table and the sump goes off every 10 minutes. I have been nice and even offered to pay half to have the underground train tile repaired. She declined and told me tough . So Iím left to my own devices. I need to create some sort of drainage area for my backyard that runs about 50ft along the side and 10ft along the back. Granted the water drains on the opposite side of her sewer grate. I was thinking of a rain garden but
1) can I make one to handle that much water? As it is I cannot walk through it let alone push my mower without creating 4Ē deep ruts.
2) I am sure as soon as I finish it she will pay to have it fixed and Iíll be left with a dry rain garden.
Now I have a ton of red lava rock and river pebble surrounding my house. I was going to remove those rocks anyway so maybe I can use them in the garden? Any suggestions? The city engineer to me to keep my cool and not let it escalate. LOL

napsternova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

A picture would help to see the area you are trying to work with.

If it is relatively small, a raised berm will keep your yard dry and give the nice neighbor a pond to splash in!

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,024

I agree with cgoll; sounds like a perfect place to have a raised garden with an adjoinging berm. I think though that the first thing I would do is attend a planning commission meeting, keeping your cool, just as the engineer suggested, and ascertain that she can in fact continue to divert water onto your property.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I agree with cgoll; sounds like a perfect place to have a raised garden with an adjoinging berm. I think though that the first thing I would do is attend a planning commission meeting, keeping your cool, just as the engineer suggested, and ascertain that she can in fact continue to divert water onto your property.
Indeed - on all counts.

I'd suggest building a levee along your property line. Just refer to it as a raised flower bed. Let the water get 6" deep in her yard, and she might start being cooperative.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quietly build the berm or levee using dense soil such as clay. Don't just make a pile of gravel because the water will go right through the gravel and come out on your side of the levee.

I would try to keep my actions as quiet and secret as long as I can.

I don't think that repairing the underground drain tile is going to help becuase the water still has to be pumped out using the sump pump. So no need to help pay for that.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-13-2011 at 04:53 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Pictures---Just love neighbors---
Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would do the levee idea, and get a permit or something in writing that certifies it as being ok, even if it's not required to have one for landscaping of that size. Just if she gives you trouble, you have something on paper. You could also just add some drainage, but I would personally prefer the passive aggressive route. It's more fun.

See if you can also do something to attract ducks. I think it would be funny.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #8

OK, well it's time to revisit this situation again. Main reason is my poor little girl can't run around outside without getting sucked into the swamp that has become my backyard. The normal drainage is a swale system but the swale is bombarded all day with sump pump water so when it does rain the ground is so saturated that it just sits. Her storm drain is at the opposite corner of her yard. I'm thinking I will ultimately have to file a lawsuit.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

^^ Build up the level of your yard so that the water is forced to stay on her yard.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #10

While that's a good suggestion I think it can be very costly seeing is it has to pass city inspection. I contacted the county but they said it was a city matter, the city said it was my problem but I can't mess with function of the swales. So... that's B.S.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by napsternova View Post
While that's a good suggestion I think it can be very costly seeing is it has to pass city inspection. I contacted the county but they said it was a city matter, the city said it was my problem but I can't mess with function of the swales. So... that's B.S.
BS is right.

If it's your problem, on your property, you can fix it. Just run a long, raised flower bed back there. Landscape it nicely. Forget to tell the city.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #12

That does make sense. OK, I'll keep notes on my "repair" to share.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by napsternova View Post
OK, well it's time to revisit this situation again. Main reason is my poor little girl can't run around outside without getting sucked into the swamp that has become my backyard. The normal drainage is a swale system but the swale is bombarded all day with sump pump water so when it does rain the ground is so saturated that it just sits. Her storm drain is at the opposite corner of her yard. I'm thinking I will ultimately have to file a lawsuit.

I've never seen so many turtle vents on a house before.

I don't understand why your sump is going off so frequently with the sewer drain right there on your property. Perhaps a crack in the sewer drain?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #14

My sump pump is just fine, my neighbors on the other hand is going off all day long. Both houses have different builders, hers was built first and that builder also developed the subdivision. Either her house has a deeper basement then mine or who knows.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,018

Well, with her sump going off every 10 min and her reluctance to remedy the situation with you, it will come back and bite her. Karma is a b!tch.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garden, neighboring property, rain