Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Share |

Identifying Lawn Weeds

Can anyone identify this weed (looks like fat pipe cleaners)? Also suggest what can be used to kill it.

I checked a number of web site using Google and did not see this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Identifying Lawn Weeds-a575.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Identifying Lawn Weeds

It is not a weed I recognize from my work in turf management but then I did it on the other side of the country. I would take it to your real local nursery for an herbicide recommendation or check with ag extension for recommendations. If you have a golf course or park district maintenance shed near the turf guys will be more than happy to help you out.

Meanwhile, and not usually one to suggest herbicides without knowing the target, something like Weed-B-Gone hose-end applicator product or other with 2-4-D might be worth an experiment. Round-up with a carefully directed tank sprayer will do it for sure but it is a non-selective systemic herbicide and will kill most anything it touches.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

Identifying Lawn Weeds

It's a moss. my lawn, was full of it, until I sprayed it with iron sulfate (moss-out). After the iron kills, it, rake it out with a metal leaf rake (or skip the iron and just rake it), fertilize your lawn, and apply lime. You should also improve sunlight and soil drainage in that area. Sunlight - cut back / thin any bushes that are blocking the sunlight. Drainage - have your lawn core-aerated. Finally, overseed the area with a shade-loving fescue. The lime lowers your soil ph.

Last edited by Seattle2k; 04-18-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Identifying Lawn Weeds

Thanks. I will try the iron sulphate.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Identifying Lawn Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Thanks. I will try the iron sulphate.
Be sure to rinse it off concrete and other surfaces. It will rust stain quickly.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote