Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

Share |

Identify my plants, please!

Hey folks, since Spring is upon us (sort of), it's time for me to tidy up the yard. I've been in this house for just about a month now, my first home. The previous owners had several plants that I'm not sure what they are.. so I don't know how to properly care for them. Any help at all identifying them (and some tips on their care!) would be much appreciated. I live in Arkansas, by the way.

And most puzzling of all,

http://justinrowan.com/plants/20130204_173807.jpg
http://justinrowan.com/plants/20130204_173809.jpg
(larger, so not embedding)

Since these last bunch are in the front, they're my highest priority. Especially if you've seen how desperate my backyard is at the moment.

I'm told the bush nearest the driveway is Wisteria, which I plan to remove sooner rather than later. I'm sure it's lovely when it blooms, but it's inconvenient so close to the driveway (Can't open door without getting scratched). There were also a pair of Wisteria vines growing up each of the gates to the back yard. The vines were weaving throughout the fence and ripping it apart. I've already removed those. Beyond that, I've hard the roots are invasive and can even crumble concrete (ie, driveway).

I know that the hedges are Boxwoods.. and I trimmed them back drastically on movein day because they were so overgrown (after this picture was taken) that we couldn't get furniture in the front door. I'm pretty sure I trimmed them improperly in my haste, because now they look sort of..pathetic.

The tree in front of the window is a Crape Myrtle, correct? I need to prune it back away from the house, I'm told.

What about the plants on either side of the windows? Any idea? I like these the most, they're unique. I'd like to keep them thriving.

There are also a couple more planted at the front of the driveway near the road, that I don't have pictures up. I think they may be smaller versions of what is near the windows. I'll snap pictures when I can.

Thanks in advance for the expertise and help!
NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I cannot tell from your pictures. Can you shoot some sharper ones?

Do you have a real nursery near you? You could break off a short length of some of them and get an ID fairly quickly.

Your ag extension offices, or the library, may be of great help too!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

You have a lot of older shrubs that need to come out. A good nursery/landscape business will do a landscape design for free. Don't try and save the old stuff....start over.
Kansas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

Could you elaborate as to which one's you're talking about, and why exactly they need to come out? (Certainly not disagreeing, I'm genuinely curious!)

I spent a solid hour and a half removing that monstrous Wisteria this afternoon with the wife.. talk about a stubborn plant! Glad we didn't decide to leave it, there were several large roots already creeping under the sidewalk and driveway... a disaster waiting to happen, I'd guess. So now we're left with a giant eyesore of a barespot where the wisteria was. We picked up several bags of red mulch (I like the look of it over regular hardwood mulch) and some miracle grow today. We haven't decided what to plant in the Wisteria's absence.. the wife wants flowers, but I think the area is too large for that (probably 12sq ft or so).
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

I work in a family owned greenhouse & nursery business. We have a landscape designer on staff.
Shrubs have a life of so many years and then they get scraggly. Foundation plantings are not meant to last for 30 years. When they get overgrown or are looking bad, pull them out and replace them.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #7

Eventually all of the backyard will probably come up, as the whole back needs to be regraded and resodded.. so that might happen in time.

In the meantime, I'd like to care for them, do you have any insight as to what they are, and how I might properly care for them? Specifically, I'm interested in the tall ones in front.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #8

No one has any guesses? I realize the pictures aren't the best, but I'm so curious to know! I guess last resort I'll find a nursery around here.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #9

The nursery should be your first resort. Those bushes and trees are so overgrown and old that all you can is water them if you are in a drought-affected area. Let us know what the nursery says.