Ideas Needed For Backyard... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ideas needed for backyard...

We just bought this house and it looks like the previous owner started work on the backyard but never finished it. They had a patch of grass in the middle and then poured sand all around it. Not sure what they were trying to do. Now the wife and I are looking to see what we can do to make it look a lot better than what it is now. We hate the bushes/plants things in the back along the fence so we're wanting to get rid of those. We want to make the area where the trash cans sits a better path way with something like concrete so we can easily roller the cans in and out. Any ideas will greatly be appreciated...THANKS!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas needed for backyard...-dsc00888.jpg   Ideas needed for backyard...-dsc00889.jpg   Ideas needed for backyard...-dsc00890.jpg   Ideas needed for backyard...-dsc00897.jpg  

Advertisement

TonyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 31

I would definitely add a proper patio, whether it be pavers or concrete.
Especially if you like to BBQ.
You could add a pergola for more of an outdoor living space or ???
Some planting/garden beds too? Maybe break up the straight lines a bit?
Guess it depends on motivation and money, but a back yard you want to hang out in is well worth it.
Good luck.

Advertisement

Queso Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

is that a long bush in back or a hill?
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman88 View Post
is that a long bush in back or a hill?

The bushes are sitting on a slope.
TonyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #5

Depends how much grass you want in the backyard I suppose. you could finish the backyard with grass and add concrete or pavers to the side of the house so you can roll the cans easily. My guess is they were going to do concrete or pavers in the back because of the sand they put in.

It might be easiest and most cost effective to just finish the back in grass and add any sort of trees/plants you might want to spruce it up. Then add concrete to the side of the house when thats done. That way you can enjoy your backyard first.
Dsmdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

you have very huge back yard if i had this space I would first install a BBQ place then a permanent swimming pool and a projector area so me and my wife could watch romantic movies and have romantic out door dinner under the black sky with moon and starts.
paulsmith544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #7

I agree with Queso. I will probably add a patio place there. You have a wide backyard, and with its appearance now, I think it is quite easy to improve its beauty. You can make half of the area a patio, either concrete or not. Then those sloping grasses which are situated near the wall, I would add some ornamental plants there. Flowering plants are also recommended.

I love the idea of barbecue place too. But I would recommend you can put it beside the patio place (that is if you will make it). This is perfect for outdoor conversation with family at night. I love the idea of putting patio heaters too, so in case of cold nights you can still hang out outside. I have one in our home too which I have got from BuyTikiTorches. You can check them if you like the idea. I don't really like the idea of having those grasses, and if you will going to pursue with the patio place, you have to get rid of them. I think they will be better if you transfer it to other part of the yard.
SophiaForb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Yep, looks like they were planning on laying cement or pavers. Also looks like you have the fire place back there, check to see if by chance he had a natural gas stub installed for nat. Gas bbq ? Now would be the time to do it, if you are considering it. I would also buy an insecticide spayer thompsons water sealer and treat the cedar fencing. Walk way on the side of house where a/c condensing units are. I would put river rocks around the units , maybe a decent bush that does not drop leave near them to shade them and help cool the air around them so they do not work so hard during summer. Be wise on the tree choices look at how the sun hits the house and plan from there to shade the sunny side during summer , maybe drops leaves during winter to get some sunshine hit the house. Once you lay the concrete etc. I'm sure it wont be hard to find someone to clean the stucco or redo it, since rain water splashing stained it.
-
Joe

Advertisement

Focused2 is online now   Reply With Quote