Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ideas to hide/incorporate an unsightly bilco door in landscaping

I have an amazing backyard which I am ready to move forward with and create my backyard place of relaxation. I have french doors and one other exit door into my yard,. My home is a 2 story colonial with an extended family room which makes an a L shape in the back yard.

My problem is an unsightly bilco door which is positioned 3 ft from the left of my exit door. It is functioning but only used 3-4 times yearly. The dementions of vertical line of the is approximately 20 feet. This is where the french doors are located for an exit. The horizontal is approximately 45 feet with the back door at 32 feet and bilco door sitting at 35 feet. The house continues for another 10 feet before it ends at a driveway.

I am open to ideas as to what to do with the space but keep focusing on the bilco door which could make it look unsightly. I will need steps of some kind to exit both doors. The bilco door sits on top of an exposed foundation of approximately 10-12 inches. It is 20 years old.

Last edited by v0099; 03-26-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: incorrect letters
v0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Post a pic of that area and you will get lots of feedback from a lot of good people in here.

Without pics, we don't know what the elevations are, the lay of the land, features to design around, etc.

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

If you don't like the look of a traditional steel basement door, check out Bilco's new Ultra Series door http://www.bilco.com/foundations/store/scresults.asp?nav=9*117. The door is made from high-density polyethylene, so it never needs painting or maintenance. Best of all, the door features the look and architectural design of a wooden door including a wood grain finish and arched panel design.
Bilco is offline   Reply With Quote