Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Share |

i over fertilized my sod. (help)

About two months ago I over fertilized my sod. I live in the California Bay area. we usually get 60-70 degree weather...so it it not too cold or too hot.

Now I'm tired of seeing my sod like this. Is there anything I could do to fix this?? It has been watered every other day.

This is my first lawn

tapia52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldrillin View Post
First take a deep breath, how many garden hoses do you have?
I have a sprinkler system that sets on every other day at 5am. 9 minutes for each third of my lawn

Old 07-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Everyones lawns are suffering this Summer, due to the drought. There really is nothing elese to do, but water two or three times a week, for a couple of hours.

Water every day, it will want water. That is one big problem with sod, is that most types are not drought resistant.

From the pictures, I would say just let it take its course, and care for it. Looks better than what we have here in the Midwest.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-20-2012 at 07:45 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
You need to get fencing to block in in your your property. Make different pen or areas. A petting zoo is your only option. Your grass is dead and now you just deal with a petting zoo, as a new family bizzness!!!!
I don't think its dead.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Everyones lawns are suffering this Summer, due to the drought. There really is nothing elese to do, but water two or three times a week, for a couple of hours.

Water every day, it will want water. That is one big problem with sod, is that most types are not drought resistant.
Hmmm...I see.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
What about starting over? Tearing it all out and selling the house?
I moved in a year ago. The lawn was horrible, so since I live on a corner house I decided to fix it. I spent like $1500 just for the sod. So starting all over is not an option.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
I have hope it'll recover I just don't know what to apply.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Pick one so I can move on and help the next person.
I pick #3

GTFO.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

tapia52, there is really nothing wrong with the lawn, other than it needs mowed at this point. I would rather have your lawn over what we have here in the Midwest at this moment. Mine is so dormant at this point, you could toss a match and it will go up in a burst.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Busy DIYer

Talapia,
There is nothing wrong with your lawn, mow it, water it as you are and it will blend in a couple of months

How much fertilizer did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I lived in the Bay Area and was a turfgrass management consultant for many years.

First, you must remember that sod is a transplant layer and what you want to do is to get the transplanted root system to take in the prepared soil. You do this by watering as you lay the sod and rolling it with a half full landscape roller only when done. People grossly underestimate what it takes to establish a sod lawn and I usually talked residential clients in your area out of it in favor of hydroseeding or even conventional seeding. Seeded lawns establish much faster than sod ones.

Then you watch it carefully to make sure you keep the sod layer alive but you should also cut back on your watering so you water deeper but perhaps for longer periods of time. Our goal in managing turf in your area was to achieve the equivalent of 1" of rainfall per 1,000sf per week. I have seen sod in the Bay Area that never took to the soil beneath it because of over watering.

What you absolutely do not want to do is water for hours at a time. This might work to "leach" over applied fertilizer elsewhere but as you know you have extremely heavy clay soil. If you clog it up with water you cut off all the aeration the roots need and nothing can grow in it. I remember getting garden tools stuck in the stuff it gets so dense when wet. Right?

I would call in a company and aerate it. Rake the cores. Apply organic material to fill in the cores. I would factor this procedure into your budget once a year if you can and every couple for sure if not.

Then adjust your watering schedule making sure never to water later in the day than the turf can dry out before darkness sets in. Moist, dark turf just begs insects and disease spores. Remember, aim to water less frequently and deeper but not so heavily you clog the clay soil.

As mentioned, your lawn should snap out of this. Just mow it tall. Invest in a whirlybird type spreader, not a drop one, and break up any clumps of fertilizer before trying to run it through the spreader. I had a hand held one for my own property that worked great.

If the difference in color really bothers you, apply Ammonium Sulfate at the rate of 1 pound of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet. Water it in immediately with a garden hose.

AS is pure nitrogen. The first number of the NPK ratio (those three numbers on the sack) is always the nitrogen content of the sack. You can do some simple math to know how much of the sack to apply. For example, a 50 pound sack of 25-0-0 will have half, or 25 pounds as available nitrogen so you will have to apply two pounds for every 1,000sf.

Your yard is small enough. I would set the spreader to half the application rate and apply fertilizer in two directions. This should eliminate any possibility of lap marks or hot spots.

Last edited by user1007; 07-21-2012 at 06:35 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #12

i would mulch that lawn at the 12oclock setting on the height and add a couple of bags of top soil with a walking spreader..being liberal.then only water at sunset for 30 minutes each section ever 3rd day.that top soil will work its way down into the sod a help the mulched grass to boost the roots... south shore of Long Island
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
then only water at sunset for 30 minutes each section ever 3rd day.
Most lawn infestations---bugs or fungus---work at night and LOVE moist turf. You do not want wet turf after dark if you can avoid it. When managing golf turf we sometimes could not avoid watering overnight but we still tried to aim for early morning. Morning when winds are calm and the sun is just coming up is the best time. It sounds like you have an irrigation system with a timer so this should not be a problem.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #14

and 2 feet of salt water for 6 hours from IRENE back in AUG/2011 GRUB X in MAY...cut i setting higher in August never fertilize,lime yearly
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fister2Wrista View Post
Anyone want to talk about their feelings?
Feelings are not an issue. I hope I did not come off that way.

Your Long Island lawn looks gorgeous. Land along the Northern California coast is surprisingly fertile and drains well. Artichokes, among other things, are particularly suited. The saline seems to provide a nice sterile cleansing to things. Once you get inland and into the Bay clay it is a different story though.