I Need A Fence Post 'fix' - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

I need a fence post 'fix'

That would be a 'fix' like a fast fix, a makeshift fix, a not doing it properly but have to do something fix.

I have a 6' high back fence that runs between the neighbour and I. It's a horrible ugly wall of boards IMO but I seem to be stuck with it since the place next door is a rental (meaning the owners probalby could care less) and I don't have the cash to replace the whole thing right now. Anyway, previous owner was basically not there for 3 years (I just bought this house last summer) and let the yard go. The trees seem to have pushed the fence my way so it's on tilt basically. The yard is now tame again and I can push the fence post straight which seems to take care of it but the fence post doesn't stay put of course.

So, is there any way I can do something to that post to fortify it? I would bet it's rotted or broken at the bottom but since it's on the side I can't see I am guessing. I considered maybe hammering some rebar on at least my side but think I might hit some cement as the rules here are that posts have to be sunk and cemented 3' down.

How can I fix this?

Advertisement

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

I have used those green fence posts that are sold for installing wire mesh fences. I first push the post opposite of the way its leaning so I have room to pound the new metal post in. I then drive a screw or two through it to hold it. Doesn't look so bad and will hold for a while.

Advertisement

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
That would be a 'fix' like a fast fix, a makeshift fix, a not doing it properly but have to do something fix.
...How can I fix this?
Duct tape, lots and lots of duct tape....it's good for everything.....

Old 05-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

add more wood posts or drive in metal posts away from the concrete, clamp it to the fence with metal brackets or straps.
Longtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 586

I would ask the neighbor and take a shot. Maybe they will do something about it. Plus, if it is tilting onto your property, you may have an argument. Be nice about it...obviously, but they may be more understanding that you think.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the ideas. I might try the metal post idea as that would probably be strong enough to keep the wood post straight and I can paint it out easily.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Rewards Points: 25

To be safe, be sure to call "DIG RITE" or whatever company does your underground utility locating in your area before you dig or drive a post into the ground. If there is anything in the area, chances are its close to the property line. If THEY mark it and you then hit something YOU won't be liable for the damages. Just because the existing posts aren't hitting anything doesn't mean that 6" over is also safe.

Dave
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #8

Thanks. That area is safe from underground.

I did finally get to meet and speak with the new owner and we got to check his side of the fence. Someone already tried the metal post (from a wire fence) idea on his side. Anyway he tells me he is a contractor and will try and straighten it up over the summer.

Advertisement