Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |

how would I go about propagating this plant?

I've been going crazy trying to learn propagation. I've found a few articles on it but haven't really been making progress (everything I've tried so far has died).

I was hoping someone could tell me how they would go about propagating this plant - I like it and want to spread it through the yard, but every time I try I end up taking some off a plant, and then the stuff I wanted to propagate dies (not the original plant, just what I took off). I've tried hydroponic approaches (water container with a diluted root stimulator), I've tried doing them in soils, and everything just dies!

If anyone could tell me the basic approach to propagating this plant it'd be huuuuugely appreciated
Attached Images

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #2

well I tried my ghetto approaches and they've all been failures, some of my other methods are still in a quasi-hydroponic setup right now trying to root, but figured I'd throw some links out of what I've found for the common knowledge.

Any new info is insanely appreciated, I'm fascinated by this whole gardening/propagation thing, but i'm an early 20's guy with zero clue what he's doing lol!!

http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is0207.htm

http://www.growerdirect.com/aboutflo...opagation.html

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to nebben Send a message via AIM to nebben Send a message via MSN to nebben Send a message via Yahoo to nebben

I found this on a garden forum: seporate from main stem & allow to "air dry" 6-24 hours, apply 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone) keep soil "damp" misting not required. will root in 1-3 months

I've had excellent luck digging under my narrowleaf yuccas and taking cuttings from the rhizomes, which are usually pretty good sized and easy to separate. Keep the dirt damp but not soaked and be patient.

Good luck!
nebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
don't have a green thumb

Are these Narrowleaf Yucca's or Joshua Trees? Just curious...

As for both of them, you can propagate by bare root, containers and seeds. I myself have faired well from bare root cuttings. I will do more research and see what I come up with.
tashaandjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #5

Joey,

I really cant help you with that particular tree/bush. I can tell you that the softer the stalk the easier it is to clone (propagate) Try this way next time you get the urge.

Cut a some tips off of the plants you want to clone. Bring them inside, now get a new razor and some alcohol swabs. Wipe the razor down, make a new cut, roughly at a 45 degree angle and place into a cup of water. Make sure the water is not chlorinated. Get a small plastic tupperware box and cut some small holes in the top of it. Make sure the box is not clear so light cant get to the roots. Fill it with water place a small airstone inside of it so it is bubbling. Put your cuttings in the hole in the top so the bottom of the clones are just touching the water level. The bubbles from the airstone should be splattering some water around also. Keep the cuttings under low light and even trim off some of the leaves. You want to encourage root growth and not plant growth. If the water is kept around 65-73ish degrees you should see roots starting to appear in around 5 days. Have been using this method for years for our heirloom vegetables. (Good luck!)
retro is offline   Reply With Quote