How Will I Start In Growing Grass! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 101

How Will I Start in Growing Grass!

Ok this is my first time ever in trying to grow lawn grass? and need a lot of help on how to start ! I just would like to see something green growing instead of weeds.

Attached Thumbnails
How Will I Start in Growing Grass!-101_1227.jpg  

Advertisement

bote110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

If that's the final grade, it looks a bit close to the bottom of the siding.

If you have plans for an irrigation system, install it first. Have your soil tested to see what it needs for amendments, then seed away. I personally don't like seeding in the spring. New lawns need lots of water and if the summer is really hot, you have to water even more.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 03:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with djlandkpl. The best time to place seed or sod is in early fall. Let mother nature help you and keep your water bill down. The grass will go dormant in the winter while snow collects, then Spring thaw and rains will again help you out before you come to summer. If you plant now and you have a warm summer, your water bill is going to be very high.
RoundedRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

Like the others have said Fall is the perfect time to start a new lawn. In cold-weather climates like where you are, fall’s cooler temperatures prevent the seeds from drying out, but there’s still enough sun and rain to help them germinate before going into hibernation for the winter, without the competition of crabgrass and other weeds that die off in the Fall. If you are going to install an irrigation system do it before you seed the lawn.

No soil is ready for seeds if it doesn't have the right pH. The pH scale measures acidity and alkalinity, denoted by numbers from 0 to 14, with 7.0 being neutral. Grass grows best in soil that has a pH between 6.0 and 7.5. If your soil is too acidic (below 6.0) — a common problem in cooler wet climates like the Northeast — you can add lime to bring it up. If it's mildly alkaline (7.5 to 8.0), a little peat moss, which is naturally acidic, should correct it. Soil that is very alkaline (more than 8.0), which is more likely to exist in dry, hot climates, needs sulfur. Put measured amounts of soil and water into the test kit's plastic test chamber and shake well. Wait a minute or two for the soil to settle and the color to develop. Hold up the vial and compare the color of the soil solution to the color-coded chart printed beside the test chamber. It should read between 6.0 and 7.5. Write down the number you get from the kit so you can add what is need latter on.

Dig up all rocks and roots that are visible including any stones that won't fit through the tines of a garden rake. Fill holes and depressions with topsoil dug up from a high spot. Use a rotary tiller to turn the soil until there are no big clumps or patches of packed earth. Cover the planting area with 1 inch of sand. Distribute it as evenly as possible with a shovel. Use a rotary tiller to incorporate the sand into the topsoil. Now cover the area with an inch of compost, distributing it in the same manner as the sand. Again, use a rotary tiller to incorporate the compost into the soil and sand. Now add whatever you need (lime, peat moss, or sulfur) to balance the soil's pH level and boosts nutrients. Distribute peat moss with a shovel and the lime or sulfur with a walk-behind broadcast spreader. Coat the entire area, making sure you don't miss any spots. Next, use the broadcast spreader to apply starter fertilizer to the entire area. Use a metal garden rake to carefully work the lime (or sulfur) and fertilizer into the top inch of soil. Finish-grade the soil by raking it level.

Disperse grass seed evenly over the soil with a walk-behind spreader. Be sure to apply an even amount of seed to the entire area. Take a plastic leaf rake, turn it upside down, and use the back of the tines to gently work the seeds into the soil. Make short, light strokes. Avoid long sweeping motions, which can redistribute the seeds and cause the grass to grow in uneven patches. Don't compact the seeds with a weighted roller because it will create depressions that will collect water. Immediately after sowing the seeds, lightly water the area and ensure that the entire area gets dampened. For the first 8 to 10 days, water two or three times daily, but only for 5 to 10 minutes. Avoid overwatering, which may wash away the seeds. Once the grass sprouts, water once a day for 15 to 30 minutes. It's typically best to water in the morning, when there's less evaporation. Avoid watering in the evening; it can lead to fungal diseases. By next spring you will have a beautiful lawn that you can enjoy.
Indepspirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 348

You may want to do sections at a time if you don't think you can keep up with the initial watering.
I've used a 25% rye mix on a new lawn to hold the soil in place the first season while the permanent grass takes hold.
Now's the time to check your grade away from the house and run tiles if you need them.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

With the new build. I would just hire a Hydro-Seed company to do the hard part. The easy part is keeping it watered. If you want instant results. Hire a Sod company to do the yard. You will have Grass by the time you come home from work.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
With the new build. I would just hire a Hydro-Seed company to do the hard part. The easy part is keeping it watered. If you want instant results. Hire a Sod company to do the yard. You will have Grass by the time you come home from work.
So true they would have it done in 4-5 hours and if you hire a good company they should check the grade before they start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Dirt Ain't Cheap (my landscaping blog)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepspirit View Post
So true they would have it done in 4-5 hours and if you hire a good company they should check the grade before they start.

All of that would be readied before the Sod truck & crew shows up. Usually a day or two before the Sod day.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
All of that would be readied before the Sod truck & crew shows up. Usually a day or two before the Sod day.
True that's the way I used to do it. Showed up 2 days before to check grade if grade was wrong gave me time to talk to home owner and correct grade. However I have seen plenty of sod and seed companies just come in and lay sod or seed without checking anything. So make sure you ask or you may start watering your lawn and fill your basement, at the same time.

Advertisement

Dirt Ain't Cheap (my landscaping blog)