Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

how to use a lawn spreader?

Can someone explain to me how to set a lawn spreader for the correct spreading setting? I have a dial that has numbers from 0 to like 20 the higher the number the wider the opening, but what does this number translate to? How do I know what number to put it on for say fertilizer as opposed to seading?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Most lawn products I've used have a chart on the back w/ recommended settings for various brands and types of spreaders.

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoll View Post
Most lawn products I've used have a chart on the back w/ recommended settings for various brands and types of spreaders.

I have a Scotts spreader and Scotts fertalizer and all it says is so many pounds per so much space *scratches head*
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

The spreader settings chart is usually on the back of the bag, in the lower left corner.
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I have a Scotts spreader and Scotts fertalizer and all it says is so many pounds per so much space *scratches head*
This is how you calibrate a spreader, backpack sprayer, boom sprayer and all such equipment:
1. Measure an area that is convenient to use, such as 1000 sq ft. For instance, your spreader throws a path 10 feet wide. Measure 100 feet in a straight line. 10ft wide x 100 long equals 1000 sq ft. area.
2. Pour in a measured amount of sand. Something nearly the same size as the product you are applying is best but not always practical.
3. Pick a setting, start walking at a steady pace and apply the sand to the measured area. The setting can be anywhere. You just need to have a starting point. You might try 10 on your spreader, halfway between 1 and 20.
4. Say you need to apply 2 lbs per 1000 sq ft. Measure how much sand you used and adjust the spreader accordingly. For example, you put in 5 lbs of sand and have three lbs left. You used 2 lbs. This will give you a close/r guess. Or, you need to apply 2 lbs- put in 2 lbs of sand and see where you run out. If you run out too soon, close the hopper a couple of clicks. If you have too much left, open it up some more.
5. Measure an appropriate amount of product for the area and apply. You should run out just in time. If not, adjust again. Remember, sand will not apply at exactly the same rate as fertilizer or seed. So after you get a close guess, you will need to double check on your actual product.