Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

Share |

How to turn on the sprinkler system water?

We moved to our new to us house in January. Now it's time to start watering the lawn. We have two underground thingies that just split the water up. (One in the front yard and one in the back.) We don't seem to have a backflow device. (Our old house didn't have one either.) Any ideas on how to turn the water on?

christineka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You really only need to water the lawn if you live in a HOA and the powers to be "require" you to waste water to keep your lawn for their wellbeing nice and green, or if you are not getting any rain for a long period, and you wish to keep it from dying by watering it just enough once every couple of days.

As for your question, there should be something like a timer box to allow it to run on a cycle. If you have water shooting up out of the yard, that means that sprinkler heads have been removed when they winterized the system, but never replaced them, or you have a neighbor that needed new sprinkler heads for their system and they saw easy pickings from a house that was unoccupied.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You really only need to water the lawn if you live in a HOA and the powers to be "require" you to waste water to keep your lawn for their wellbeing nice and green, or if you are not getting any rain for a long period, and you wish to keep it from dying by watering it just enough once every couple of days.

As for your question, there should be something like a timer box to allow it to run on a cycle. If you have water shooting up out of the yard, that means that sprinkler heads have been removed when they winterized the system, but never replaced them, or you have a neighbor that needed new sprinkler heads for their system and they saw easy pickings from a house that was unoccupied.
We live in a desert and my husband is insistent that our yard look just like the cookie cutter mold.

My husband has been quite meticulous with making sure that all the sprinkler heads are on correctly and the timer box is set up to turn on the sprinklers. There is no water that gets to the sprinklers, however.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

To help the search along, I took photos. I made the album public.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6656499&type=1
Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineka
To help the search along, I took photos. I made the album public.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6656499&type=1
There are no pics.
Although public,I think people would need to sign in to facebook to view them.
Some other "public" site would probably be a better idea.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
There are no pics.
Although public,I think people would need to sign in to facebook to view them.
Some other "public" site would probably be a better idea.
Sorry, only good for fb users. Here's photobucket http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...kler%20system/

Last edited by christineka; 04-21-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineka View Post
Sorry, only good for fb users. Here's photobucket http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...kler%20system/
in the pipe box... the red thing to the left (IMG_7683.jpg) is a solenoid valve. the timer (IMG_7686.jpg) is supposed to feed power to it.

either the valve is faulty or the time is faulty or the timer isn't getting power.
of course it could be mechanical too like the main feed valve is closed

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

The 4 inch white PVC plug sticking up by the green zone valve box. May want to take the plug out and see if a shutoff valve is down in there that shuts off the water to the zone valves.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post
The 4 inch white PVC plug sticking up by the green zone valve box. May want to take the plug out and see if a shutoff valve is down in there that shuts off the water to the zone valves.
Found out it's the sewer access.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #10

ewwwww.........

Well we know the system isnt getting water or the zone valves are not getting power. Confirm somehow that it is getting water and the control center is getting power. Check the zones valves to see if they are getting voltage when the timer is energized. If they are not getting voltage with the timer in the manual mode, it may be time then to call a irrigation contractor. good luck

Last edited by Jeeps; 04-21-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #11

The control valve thingies make noise when they are supposedly on. I'll look into finding and irrigation person.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #12

I have good news! One of my neighbors has contact info for the former owners. She's going to ask them how to turn on the sprinklers. Hopefully we'll know how soon enough
Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineka View Post
We moved to our new to us house in January. Now it's time to start watering the lawn. We have two underground thingies that just split the water up. (One in the front yard and one in the back.) We don't seem to have a backflow device. (Our old house didn't have one either.) Any ideas on how to turn the water on?

Thats good news to read that your neighbor may help with your problem. I cannot speak for your location, but in my town and for good reasons, not having a BFPV on irrigation is a BIG no-no.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #14

if your timed out on the water cycle there should be a by-pass button to do a manual feed like a light timer...but verify water to the timer solinode first check YOUTUBE with the make of the system might catch a video

Last edited by biggles; 04-22-2012 at 09:12 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #15

Depending on where you live....there is sometimes what they call around here as a "secondary" valve. There would be a valve in your yard somewhere that is below the frost level. If it's warm it may not be buried real deep. This valve cuts into your main line going into your house. Look for some type of pipe access (plug cap,box, etc" in your yard. Draw an imaginary straight line from your water main near the curb to the main shutoff inside your house. Usually they are there. It may be in the grass and dirt has sloughed off on top of it. You would use a long "sprinkler key" to turn this on. I found mine in a flower bed under a large rock.

Just a thought.

Last edited by lowvolter; 04-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.
lowvolter is offline   Reply With Quote