Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #1

Share |

How to trim grass under fence

Hi!

I was wondering if anybody has any tips or suggestions on how to trim fence under an ornamental aluminum fence. We have an aluminum fence that's wrought-iron looking. It looks kind of like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I tried to use a trimmer/weed whacker on a few feet of it last night, and it didn't go as easy as I thought it would. The lines would catch on the spokes at the bottom and make horrible noises.

I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I just have no idea how. I remember back in the day, you had these rechargeable clippers, but getting down on my hands and knees for 100-some feet of fence doesn't sound like fun.

Thanks!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #2

Roundup will leave a fairly straight line, as long as you are careful with it.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

I thought about using roundup, but was afraid to. When I bought my first house, it had a lot of weeds in the yard. I bought roundup and figured it would kill the weeds. Little did I know it would kill the grass too! Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

I would like to try to stay away from it because I would like to 'trim' the grass instead of killing it. But if killing it is the only option, it would look better than having it overgrown around the bottom of the fence.

thanks!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

We used to do this stuff all the time, when we did our lawn mowing business. You can trim around these fences with a line trimmer. It's a little tricky, and pretty noisy, and will take quite a bit of string. But you'll catch on just fine.

Using RoundUp will work but, in my opinion, makes the fence line look pretty shabby. Also, after you've killed the grass, weeds will grow up where the grass was.

Keep the speed of your line trimmer low when trimming around this fence. Be careful. Get the feel. You can do it!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote