DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to prevent tree stump from rotting?

33K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DUDE! 
#1 ·
Yes, that's right, I want to to know if there is any way to _prevent_ a tree stump from rotting out. I've got a giant douglas fir tree that sits about 3 feet outside my kitchen window, and someday it's going to have to go (once they get to a certain size, they have a tendency to fall over). However, the root system holds up a giant boulder, and that would require some massive (and expensive) retaining wall if the stump were to rot away. So.... is it possible to somehow preserve a stump and it's root system? Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
I think when the tree is cut down then What?

He said "stump", usually stumps are associated with previously cut trees, apparently the tree is still standing. The tree will go someday, so for now I think you are asking for some sort of chemical solution you can pour or inject into the rootsystem to prevent it from rotting. Exposure to air and microbes cause the rot so there may be a preservative, Below Ground by DAP is a chemical that I am familiar with from years back. What ever chemical or biological solution may accelerate the tree's demise........who knows?
Seal Treat II is another possibly? Used motor oil has always prevented posts from rotting, but you didn't read that here and we didn't have this conversation.
:yes: bill

#9 ·
Another way to look at this is , if you wanted to get rid of the stump, outside of grinding it up, it will take a very long time to rot away, ask some who want to get rid of a stump how hard it is to do, as for the boulder, same thing, unless that boulder rolled down the hill and rested up against the tree, its not going anywhere. You can google how to break up the boulder with non-explosive material, and leave it in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.