How To Prep Wall Of Landscape Blocks For Dirt Containment - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
jkk

Rewards Points: 77

How to prep wall of landscape blocks for dirt containment

The photo shows a sample of a wall we built. Do we need to put in a barrier to keep the forthcoming fill dirt from leeching through the stones?
Attached Thumbnails
How to prep wall of landscape blocks for dirt containment-image-2183916522.jpg  

Advertisement

jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Use a clean granular back fill of different size particles (coarse sand to 3/4" rock), but do use a "filter fabric" behind the wall (unattached) before putting in the backfill.

Dick

Advertisement

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
jkk

Why the different size materials? Drainage? Will the fabric prevent any staining on the stone face?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

The wall looks to be no more than 18 inches high. I built a similar wall (mine was up to 2-1/2 feet tall) in my backyard, and it worked fine without any filter cloth, and without using select granular backfill. Usually for segmental block walls such as yours that are less than 2 feet high, you can get away with minimal preparation, for example you do not need a footer, you usually don't need a drain pipe on the uphill side, you don't need reinforcing, you don't need filter cloth, and you don't need select granular backfill. None of that hurts, except in your pocketbook, but in my experience it is not necessary for short walls. When you get to 3 feet and taller, you need to be much more careful if you want good results.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
jkk

I did put in 6" of 3/4 minus for a footer. Even with that, a 4' section raised 1" over the winter.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
The wall looks to be no more than 18 inches high. I built a similar wall (mine was up to 2-1/2 feet tall) in my backyard, and it worked fine without any filter cloth, and without using select granular backfill. Usually for segmental block walls such as yours that are less than 2 feet high, you can get away with minimal preparation, for example you do not need a footer, you usually don't need a drain pipe on the uphill side, you don't need reinforcing, you don't need filter cloth, and you don't need select granular backfill. None of that hurts, except in your pocketbook, but in my experience it is not necessary for short walls. When you get to 3 feet and taller, you need to be much more careful if you want good results.
I apologize if it appears that I am highjacking this thread. I just want to be clear since I have a similar question to that of the OP. I am building a small free-standing wall as a divider between the sod and flower bed, similar to that shown in the photo by the OP. The plan is to only go two blocks high and then the cap stone. Total height will be between 12-18". There will not be any backfill to contain. I live in south Florida so ground movement due to freezing is not a consideration. We can get extremely heavy rain, but the ground drains well.

Therefore, it sounds like I do not need any type of footer and the stones can be dry stacked on level well compacted ground. Is that correct?

David
Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessidog View Post
I apologize if it appears that I am highjacking this thread. I just want to be clear since I have a similar question to that of the OP. I am building a small free-standing wall as a divider between the sod and flower bed, similar to that shown in the photo by the OP. The plan is to only go two blocks high and then the cap stone. Total height will be between 12-18". There will not be any backfill to contain. I live in south Florida so ground movement due to freezing is not a consideration. We can get extremely heavy rain, but the ground drains well.

Therefore, it sounds like I do not need any type of footer and the stones can be dry stacked on level well compacted ground. Is that correct?

David
I've always dug a shallow trench, maybe 1/2 the height of your first course of block. Once you compact the trench you fill in the first inch or two with sand. The sand compacts well and makes it much easier to level your blocks as you go. Here is a picture of one I built last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
How to prep wall of landscape blocks for dirt containment-2013-05-18-10.44.06.jpg  
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Thank you. This sounds like a better idea.

Advertisement

Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote