Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to nebben Send a message via AIM to nebben Send a message via MSN to nebben Send a message via Yahoo to nebben
Share |

How to pre-treat wood for fence?

I've picked up all the posts needed (4"x4"x8' pressure treated), the cedar fence boards, and el-cheapo pine 2x4s to provide the framing of the fence.

I don't remember the reasoning for chosing the el-cheapo 2x4s instead of pressure treater (maybe they looked nicer? maybe it was because they were $100 cheaper overall?).

Anyway, I've read somewhere that pre-treating/staining wood before assembly nets greater protection than treating after assembly. Does anyone here recommend staining or treating before assembly? If so, how long should I wait, if I need to at all, before staining since the wood is still somewhat moist since picking it up at the store last weekend. Let it dry more before treating, or go ahead and just stain?

Also, what type of stuff should I get to apply to the cedar boards and pine 2x4s to treat them? I don't necessarily want to change the color of the fence yet, so a clear stain, waterproofing, rot-resisting type of stuff would be best...right?

nebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
remodeling pro

There is only one way to treat the "trash 2 x 4 's".... Harshly , in other words throw them aside and do not waste your time building a fence with material that will be rotten in less than two years, no topical treatment will save this pine.

The sealers made by the "Flood" company, commonly branded as "CWF" has a reputation for changing the color of the natural wood much less than many other brands.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-30-2007 at 08:56 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
There is only one way to treat the "trash 2 x 4 's".... Harshly , in other words throw them aside and do not waste your time building a fence with material that will be rotten in less than two years, no topical treatment will save this pine.

The sealers made by the "Flood" company, commonly branded as "CWF" has a reputation for changing the color of the natural wood much less than many other brands.
has a reputation of not lasting long, either- sikkens is more expensive, and more better
former artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #4

Don't bother treating before hand. Its not worth the hassle. Its much easier to apply after the project is complete. I agree about the interior construction grade pine. You're begging for problems. I also agree about the CWF. Stay away from it. Go to a paint store and buy a high quality, semi-transparent penetrating oil.
RAD Systems is offline   Reply With Quote