Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

How much Roundup needed to kill lawn weeds?

I just used 41% glyphosate for the first time, and wasted a whole bunch, I think.

I put 1.5 ounces per gallon, into a 4 gallon pump tank + spray wand.

According to the bottle, 4 gallons should cover about 1200 square feet. But I ran out of herbicide before I even covered 500.
I ended up using like 10 gallons on 1200 sq ft.

If I walked faster, I may have covered more area, but the herbicide coming out of the wand was like mist.

Is this mist enough to kill clovers and grasses? you don't have to drench the grass in herbicide?

There's no way I could have saturated every square inch of grass even with 10 gallons. I just quit and will wait and see if weeds start dying in a few weeks.

Last edited by pman6; 03-03-2013 at 08:29 PM.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman6 View Post

I just quit and will wait and see if weeds start dying in a few weeks.
Did you expect them to just shrivel up and fall over like the bad guy in a movie?

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Girl with a Hammer

Rewards Points: 10

it usually takes a couple of days before you see the weeds beginning to brown. and only a little is fine as what most weed killer do is prevent photosynthesis, kill the rooots or keep it from creating protein so only a small amount is needed. Also, how much weed do you have? I mean, weed killer shold be used sparringly. Mostly in crevices near the driveway and around the house.
dixongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Did you expect them to just shrivel up and fall over like the bad guy in a movie?
of course not. I know it takes a few weeks.

But I am wondering if the light spray is enough. My question is about degree of saturation. Because 1 diluted gallon over 300 square feet, as the bottle suggests, does not saturate the grass at all. That's less than half ounce of diluted herbicide per square foot. You can imagine how little saturation that is.

The herbicide mfgr implies that is enough to kill weeds..... 1 gallon concentrate for up to 25000 square feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixongal View Post
Also, how much weed do you have? I mean, weed killer shold be used sparringly. Mostly in crevices near the driveway and around the house.
~60 x 20, every square inch covered with clovers, unwanted grasses, and some waxy leaf types.

I have a lawn of weeds. I'm trying to kill off the gophers' food supply.

Last edited by pman6; 03-04-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

You greatly over sprayed. It only takes a light mist to kill the weeds. When I am broadcast spray agriculture fields you can barely tell that the field was sprayed right afterwards. I usually aim for about 1 oz to a gallon in a knapsack sprayer. Also make sure that container you bought does not contain active ingredients other than glyphosate (RoundUp). If it is labeled as results in 12 to 24 hours it contains a burn down that reduces the effectiveness of RoundUp. If you do not get good control of the clover with RoundUp and you have nights above 60 degrees then you could spray a 2,4-D LV (low volatile ester) if you don't have tomatoes or pumpkins planted in a garden in the yard. 1 gallon is enough to spray 25,000 square feet as agriculture fields are often sprayed at 2 to 3 pints of 41% to the acre which is 43,560 square feet.
MNewquist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MNewquist For This Useful Post:
pman6 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNewquist View Post
You greatly over sprayed.
oh well. lesson learned.

I still have 100 ounces of concentrate left, at least.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Glyphosate/RoundUp is pretty danged potent stuff. There are a few weeds it won't kill, but those it will kill are done in by a very light mist of the stuff.

As a side note, I'd recommend NOT buying RoundUp brand glyphosate. It's MUCH more expensive. Since it's a 40+ year old product, Monsanto long-since lost patent rights. Now a lot of people make it, and you can pick up an off-brand jug of the stuff, at a place like Tractor Supply, for a mere fraction of what the name brand RoundUp costs.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Glyphosate/RoundUp is pretty danged potent stuff. There are a few weeds it won't kill, but those it will kill are done in by a very light mist of the stuff.

As a side note, I'd recommend NOT buying RoundUp brand glyphosate. It's MUCH more expensive. Since it's a 40+ year old product, Monsanto long-since lost patent rights. Now a lot of people make it, and you can pick up an off-brand jug of the stuff, at a place like Tractor Supply, for a mere fraction of what the name brand RoundUp costs.
There is no plant life that glyphosate won't kill, unless it is genetically engineered that way. Those plants that show resistance is because glyphosate cannot penetrate, which makes the big difference between the many versions of glyphosate-based products.

I agree with DrHicks, and I also use generic glyphosate (1 gallon concentrate for fewer than 40 dollars) but results are certainly not like RoundUp brand. I use liquid soap as a surfactant (three or four drops per gallon), which helps with certain plants. For others, glyphosate won't work unless you brake them physically. Horsetail, for example, is almost unaffected because of the silica "skin" that covers the plant.

One important note: Glyphosate interferes with protein synthesis, which means it will only work on actively growing plants. Also, use clean plastic or stainless steel containers/sprayers, as certain metals and especially organic material (like found in soil) will bind and neutralize glyphosate.

Good luck!

Last edited by nanuk; 03-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

yeah, i used to the generic stuff. $25 for the bottle.

added a tablespoon of Dawn to every 4 gallons.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
greetings from Bolivia

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to harrymontana

I have seen a nasty movie on Monsanto's roundup that just kills everything except for their own genetically engineered crops... Pretty scary these novelties
harrymontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymontana View Post
I have seen a nasty movie on Monsanto's roundup that just kills everything except for their own genetically engineered crops... Pretty scary these novelties
Consider the source.

Don't believe everything you see on the internet.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
greetings from Bolivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Consider the source.

Don't believe everything you see on the internet.
actually it was a 1,5 hour DVD movie and shows how powerful monsanto is and not clearing the weeds but also independent farmers (including in the USA)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
actually it was a 1,5 hour DVD movie and shows how powerful monsanto is and not clearing the weeds but also independent farmers (including in the USA)
Let me clarify. The fact that something is on the internet - or is on video or DVD - does not mean it is true or accurate.

If you have no connection to a real farm, and have never been in farming, you really don't know too much about RoundUp and/or Monsanto.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
greetings from Bolivia

besides logging activities and exporting hardwood we have 300ha of sesame seeds so I do know something about farming, Monsanto and its mode of conduct
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
besides logging activities and exporting hardwood we have 300ha of sesame seeds so I do know something about farming, Monsanto and its mode of conduct
What, exactly, are all the "evil" things Monsanto is doing?

And I'm talking about verifiable facts, not some slander from an eco-blog...