Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to maintain these 3 plants

Bought a house last fall and it has lots of nice landscaping...so I'm trying to learn how to maintain it all. Please take a look at these 3. I'm not sure if I remove the dried out brown parts to new green can grow in this spring. Or do I leave it and it grows back in by itself.

One is a bush/ground type plant, another is a plant hanging along parts of a fence and the final one looks like grape vines elevated by wood supports.

Upstate NY. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
How to maintain these 3 plants-bush.jpg   How to maintain these 3 plants-fence-plants.jpg   How to maintain these 3 plants-grapes.jpg  

jgjh151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #2

Two closer pics of the plant/vines on the fence. Seems to be some greener vines coming in under the dead/brown stuff.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

The first plant is a Hydrangea. Prune after flowering. The plant will develop flower buds over the summer for the next year- so if you prune before it flowers in spring, you will be removing the flowers. In upstate NY you may not get flowers every year, since the buds can be killed in extreme winters.

The 2nd plant is Autumn Clematis- it gets covered in white flowers in late summer. You can prune the plant now since it flowers on new growth.

The 3rd plant- I can't tell, but could certainly be grape. You'll know what the leaves emerge.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #4

Thanks Chris. Good info.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenConcepts View Post
The first plant is a Hydrangea. Prune after flowering. The plant will develop flower buds over the summer for the next year- so if you prune before it flowers in spring, you will be removing the flowers. In upstate NY you may not get flowers every year, since the buds can be killed in extreme winters.

The 2nd plant is Autumn Clematis- it gets covered in white flowers in late summer. You can prune the plant now since it flowers on new growth.

The 3rd plant- I can't tell, but could certainly be grape. You'll know what the leaves emerge.

That's what it looks like from here also
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #6

Major haircut for vines.