How To Level Ground For Pool - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to level ground for pool

Hi,

I just bought an 15X4ft Intex above-ground pool and need help figuring out how to level the ground. There is about a 3-4" difference from the lowest to the highest side. We already got a sod-cutter and cut up the sod on the high side, but that still leaves us with about 2in' difference. I've been reading that we should dig out the high more, but the soil is very thick like clay with many tree roots. My brother and I are in an argument - he suggests that we stick the pool poles on bricks to make it level and then fill in underneath the pool with soil. I feel that with the weight of the water in the pool, the soil will disperse and the bricks may shift along with the pools and problems will ensue. My question is - what do you think of this idea? or do you have any other ideas? Thanks!!

Advertisement

jecarnahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

I would pour some sand under it with some kind of edging such as landscape timbers, 4 x 4's, etc to keep the sand from washing away.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I had the same pool for my kids and It wasn't perfectly level the first year. I just eyeballed it. Once I got the water in It was up to the top on one side and 8 inches from the top on the other side. I tried bricks and it doesn't work. Take the time, get a level base and use a couple inches of sand for some cushion.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Proven method: 15 ft. diameter- -Tools needed: Door shims, 2 x 4 x 96" (somewhat straight), a 24" level, some old bricks would help. Drive one door shim at the center of where the pool will sit. Tape the level onto one edge of the 2x, lay one end of the 2x on the shim at the center leveling the 2x and drive a shim at the other end of the 2x until the 2x will lie on the shim level. Move around doing this repeatedly at maybe one foot intervals or so. Once all of these door shims are driven in and level with each other you will see how much sand you need to add at each shim/area to create a level pad for your pool. We used the entire length of the 2x so the pad would be larger than the pool bottom then used a perimeter of fill dirt to support the sand. Worked for us David OH--remove the shims--please!
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Form up a 19x6 2x4 redwood form...or use a form board that is tall enough to reach nature grade on the down hill side.
fill the inside of the forms with pea gravel to with in 2" of the top of the form boards.
than fill the rest of the formed area with sand.
after you set the pool fill the 2 foot border with a nice decorative rock
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Proven method: 15 ft. diameter- -Tools needed: Door shims, 2 x 4 x 96" (somewhat straight), a 24" level, some old bricks would help. Drive one door shim at the center of where the pool will sit. Tape the level onto one edge of the 2x, lay one end of the 2x on the shim at the center leveling the 2x and drive a shim at the other end of the 2x until the 2x will lie on the shim level. Move around doing this repeatedly at maybe one foot intervals or so. Once all of these door shims are driven in and level with each other you will see how much sand you need to add at each shim/area to create a level pad for your pool. We used the entire length of the 2x so the pad would be larger than the pool bottom then used a perimeter of fill dirt to support the sand. Worked for us David OH--remove the shims--please!
I second this you need to level the radius not the diameter. I do this every year for my 4X18 frame metal frame pool. I had it initially done by a landscaper though because it was too far off. It is recommended that you dig out the high spots rather than fill in the low spots. I have had good luck with construction sand for fine leveling. Play sand is not recommended because it shifts too much. These type of pools have some forgiveness to them, mine is less level this year than last year. I just didn't fuss too much this year. I'm sure I willpost pics on some thread over the summer.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
It is recommended that you dig out the high spots rather than fill in the low spots.
Ditto.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hit & run poster
Was off the site 14 minutes after they posted & have never been back

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote