Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to lay down concrete path on a slope

Ultimate goal is to lay down some stone work for this path to the back yard. I basically need to connect from the last concrete stair to the edge of the grass. It's on a slight, perpendicular slope and will be curved on both sides. This area is free from any direct weather as it is completely covered and would become part of the downstairs patio area. I've included a 5minute paint creation as a top-down view looking from the last step.

- Do I have to connect the pathway to the concrete stairs with rebar?
- Do I even need a concrete underlayment/pad? The dogs keep tracking in dirt from this area so just laying down large stone will not work
- Any tips to make it close to even with the grass to reduce toe stubbing?

Trying to do this relatively cheap and incorporating some stone work from the patio/stairs to the grass.

PDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

As long as it doesn't pitch towards the house you will be fine... The concrete will end up mostly level unless you purposely add a slope.

No rebar.

Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDubs View Post
Ultimate goal is to lay down some stone work for this path to the back yard. I basically need to connect from the last concrete stair to the edge of the grass. It's on a slight, perpendicular slope and will be curved on both sides. This area is free from any direct weather as it is completely covered and would become part of the downstairs patio area. I've included a 5minute paint creation as a top-down view looking from the last step.

- Do I have to connect the pathway to the concrete stairs with rebar?
No....unless it's important to have a tight joint
- Do I even need a concrete underlayment/pad? The dogs keep tracking in dirt from this area so just laying down large stone will not work
No...depending on your base, and whether level no-lippage is important... no idea why dogs are going to stay on a concrete pad
- Any tips to make it close to even with the grass to reduce toe stubbing?
Dig deep enough so top of stone is even with the grass...or wear steal toe shoes
Trying to do this relatively cheap and incorporating some stone work from the patio/stairs to the grass.
If cheap is important, don't pour a pad, or better yet, get a towel to wipe dogs feet.

Pdub... This is so vague/general...?????.... just look up stone sidewalk on google.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-12-2013 at 10:17 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #4

Slope pitches away from the house. In the image, the house is on the left side

I didn't mean to make it so vague. The area captured below currently just has dirt where previously we had little pebbles thrown down. Now the pebbles have moved around exposing the original dirt. In the morning when the grass is wet, the dogs will walk from the grass, into the highlighted area in red, and then up the stairs to the patio and into the house. They have their own mud room but over time, the dirt from their wet paws accumulate in the mud room. We already do the towel thing and I'm honestly tired of doing it multiple times a day for the past two years.

Everything I Google for this type of setup has indicated a pad is needed to keep things level and the only option if I did not want to use dirt or crushed granite as a filler/leveler. Maybe another option is a paver stone walkway with multiple landings instead of a pad?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you mean the pebbles moved around as in they sunk into the dirt. If thats the case the cheapest fix for you would to be lay down some thick landscape fabric first.
Then add what ever material you choose..pea gravel, river rock, patio pavers ect.

The fabric will keep the rocks from sinking in as well as stop the backsplash of mud up onto the stone, keeping it clean.
Plus its a lot easier to get rid of this path, should you choose, then a thick concrete slab
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

The pebbles have been kicked around so much that they have essentially moved further down the slope to where there is now just some pebbles but mostly dirt. The base is packed caliche so they don't sink, they just move around and are impossible to keep in place.