Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Share |

How to kill weird fungus in mulched flower bed.

I've got some weird fungus that loved all this rain we've been having. It's growing in a newly (Early April) mulched flower bed. It is amorphous and nubbly. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow - there are three patches of it - one brown and two that are yellow-ochre. The yellow ones are around 1 ft2 the brown is smaller (6 inches in diameter).

With what do I kill this stuff? It is a heavily planted perennial bed.

It looks creepy and sci-fi, like it might take over my yard first, next the WORLD. HAH HAH HAH HAH.

Seriously, what should I use to kill this stuff?

Old 05-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

I have had this problem also and discovered that there really is no control.

"Sometimes very little can be done to control nuisance fungi other than to spade the mulch into the surface soil layer followed by soaking with water."

This is what I found. It will normally dry up and go away after a couple days of sun if left alone..

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 AM   #3

Again, try changing the soil pH...you know fungi are very sensitive to soil pH and can only grow where the conditions are just right. Learned that from mushroom farming...either add lime or ask your neighbourhood plant nursery either for an analysis, or some product to alter the pH. All you is a 1/2 pH unit shift to make the soil uninhabitable by fungi. If your soil is high on the acid scale, raise the pH by a unit. If low, raise it; if you don't know, do an experiment using milk, or vinegar or baking soda.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Learning by Doing

My neighbor is a Master Gardener and she told me that it is Slime Mold, Fuligo septica, also known as Dog Vomit (descriptive, ain't it). They yellow patches are younger, they age to brown. According to her, they are a normal product of decomposition and they will not hurt my plants. According to Wikipedia (font of all knowledge ) they feed on the microorganisms present in decaying plant material (especially mulch, but sometimes in leaf debris in gutters).

And, FYI, they are not really a fungus... " Today, slime molds have been divided between several supergroups and not one of them is included in the kingdom Fungi. In more strict terms, slime molds comprise the group of the mycetozoans (myxomycetes, dictyostelids and protostelids). However, even at this level there are conflicts to be resolved. Recent molecular evidence shows that the first two groups are likely to be monophytelic; however the protostelids seem to be polyphyletic, too. For this reason, scientists are trying to elucidate the relations between these three groups."

Myscomycetes - hee hee. That's fun to say.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

Oh I see, slime moulds and yeah, dog vomit is a good name for it. It is clumped together as moulds - although technically it isn't.

I've seen it most often due to too much watering...what did your friend say to do about it?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote