How To Kill A Tree On Purpose - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

How to kill a tree on purpose

Okay okay I know its not a good thing in general but....

I have very large trees that I love and next to them are a variety of little pain in the a$$ "I'm sick of trimming trees and vines" that I want to get rid of. I try to keep them trimmed back but they keep coming back and in record time.

The vines are really working my last nerve, I swear as soon as I turn my back they have chocked half the tree again. The vines are called sticker vines down here if that helps. They have needles on them a tattoo artist would be proud to own.

I cannot dig them up as in many cases I would be damaging the root system of the main tree. I do not want to poison them either for the same reasons.

Is there something that I can put on the newly cut sections of the not so wanted trees to stop them from growing?

Thanks

RJ

Advertisement

forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Dig them out VERY carefully. If their that close to the trees you love then it's your only option. In additon, if you do find a way to kill them, then the roots and such underground will rot and you risk that transferring to the trees you don't want to get rid of.

Advertisement

TheJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheJerk For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

tons of stuff out there, here is a start

http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index..._clinging.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

A brush killer applied with a cheap foam brush to cuts as near the ground as possible will get them over time. Even Round-Up painted on full strength or sprayed on for that matter will work eventually. You just have to be patient if you do not want to or cannot dig them out. That tree is probably tougher than you think, by the way. Round-up on its bark will not kill it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

If the trunk is too big to cut down for now, you can girdle the tree.

Cut a half inch groove all the way around the trunk. Cut out the bark and the soft green wood deep enough to reach the hard wood.

Cut the main stem of a plant that clings to a tree.

This deprives the upper half of the tree or plant of water and nutrients and also deprives the root system of photosynthesized nutrients. The tree dies soon.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

Thank you all for the ideas.

The good news is that the offending trees are really more of the sapling size so not enough there to ringbark. They are just really entwined around the roots of the other trees.

The bad news is I swear the dam vines grew back last night while I was sleeping. Thanks Chris for the link on the vine info lots of good information there and those are the exact vines I am dealing with.

I will give the painted round up a go and see how that works. The trees I want to keep are a good 20 inches in diameter and so well established so hopefully if I do the painted round up etc it will work.

RJ
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,658

I've sprayed with glyphosate and have found that isn't always the best method for some plants that seem to be tough as a boot heel.

On those tuff plants I've found a couple of sponges saturated and the new growth squeezed between them or squeezed and drag down ( on select plants) a complete stem of leaves coats the leaves so much better than spraying. The leaf bottom I feel is much more susceptible to treatment and that's what makes it so much more effective. Is this fast, certainly not, but neither is spraying 3 times with little result.

Don't be in a hurry to see results. Mix the glyphosate according to directions and wait 10 days on shrub type plants to see results when applied in recommended weather conditions .

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 04-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

I once read about a french vineyard which was held hostage by a rogue worker by threatening to kill the vines with glyphosphate. He had kliled 2 vines already with a hypodermic needle injecting it into the heart of the vine. No sure if that's realistic or even how would go about doing that... again, not sure if you could easily acquire a hypodermic needle that would easily pierce a vine...
Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 12

The best thing to use is to cut off the vine close to the ground and using a foam brush paint on Tordon RTU. It works much faster than glyphosate, usually one treatment will kill the vine. It does not take much and shouldn't transfer to the ground as so little active ingredient is used.

Advertisement

MNewquist is offline   Reply With Quote