How To Finish Top Of Retaining Wall - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 43

How to Finish Top of Retaining Wall

I'm just completing a dry-stacked retaining wall. Between the stones and the soil, I've packed in about 3-6 inch width of small stones and gravel. Between this and the soil is landscape fabric. I did not go as high as the soil grade, in some stretches, and plan to slope the soil to meet the top of the stones. I'm wondering whether to bring the soil over the gravel backfill area, perhaps cover the gravel first with more landscape fabric or ? I'm not planning to go any higher, also, I realize that ideally I would have large capping stones to finish it off, but I've none left.
I've noted in the neighbourhood that sometimes people use mortar to create a smooth top layer. It looks tidy but you don't get to see the nice top face of the rock. I have not used mortar in the wall itself. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Finish Top of Retaining Wall-p1030447.jpg   How to Finish Top of Retaining Wall-p1030449.jpg   How to Finish Top of Retaining Wall-p1030456.jpg  

Advertisement

akimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,194

Your wall looks very good the way it is, I don't see why you would want to cover the rock with mortar. It certainly will not help the strength nor the longevity of the wall, but it will detract from appearance, I say leave it as is. Ditto for the soil, why cover the top of the wall with soil? Just bring the soil down to the level of the top of the wall and declare victory.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Like you said in the first part of the post. Landscape fabric on top of gravel dirt on top of that. Sloping the dirt back.
No cement.
peteE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 43

Thanks guys, Yes, looks pretty good the way it is. I'll cover gravel with landscape cloth and bring the dirt down. Cheers.
akimbo is offline   Reply With Quote